by Texas Homesteader ~
Did you know that you can substitute some (or even ALL) of the oil in your baked treats with applesauce? The result can be fewer calories, more fiber & vitamins and nearly zero difference to taste.
Whaaaaa….??? No, really!
Most folks love applesauce, it’s delicious to eat on its own. But applesauce can also reduce the fat in your baked goods.
What To Do With Too Many Apples?
My aunt allowed us to harvest from her apple tree & bring home ten bushels worth of fresh apples! TEN bushels. T-E-N. Wow.
From all those apples I’ve made:
All are delicious, but today I was thinking about that applesauce. How versatile it is in my kitchen!
Making Homemade Applesauce
When I have lots of apples to process, I always make homemade applesauce. It’s the easiest of all to make. And I don’t add water, juice or sugar. Just apples!
I’m able to use all the bruised & blemished apples for applesauce. Simply peel & core and cut away any bad parts. Then chop into smaller pieces & chunk them into a slow cooker.
I’ll cook the apples slowly overnight until they’re completely soft. Then I use a stick blender to blend it smooth the next morning.
I share my procedure of making and optional canning of my Homemade Applesauce Here. Check it out if you’d like to make your own.
Not only do I enjoy eating applesauce straight from the jar, but it replaces a common cooking item I’d have to buy.
Substituting Oil With Applesauce In Baked Sweets
As you may or may not know, applesauce can replace some (or in some cases ALL) of the oil called for in your baked goods recipe.
Replacing oil with applesauce lowers the fat content of many baked treats and adds fiber & vitamins too.
Plus my homemade applesauce is comprised of one ingredient and one ingredient only: Apples.
So it’s an economic, health and environmental win too! Who wouldn’t love a trifecta win like that??
What Treats Can Be Baked With Applesauce In Place Of Oil?
Sometimes I’ll replace only half of the oil with applesauce. Other times I’ll replace ALL of the oil with applesauce.
Homemade Chocolate Brownies.
What Are Benefits Of Substituting Oil With Applesauce?
No matter how much I substitute one thing is for sure, by using my homemade applesauce:
I’m saving money.
My baked goods have less fat & more fiber & vitamins so they’re healthier to enjoy.
Less landfill trash (less purchased bottled oil)
How Do Baked Goods Differ When Substituting Applesauce?
Depending on what you’re baking, substituting part or all of the oil could slightly alter the texture of the final product.
Typical changes I’ve experienced with baked goods with less oil is a more cakey texture. But I’ve never really noticed a taste difference.
So sometimes I replace all of the oil with applesauce for my baked goods. Other times I replace only half.
But pretty much any sweet baked goods I’ve made has had at least a portion of the oil replaced with a healthier option: applesauce instead of oil.
Try Substituting Part Of The Oil With Applesauce
Why not give it a try next time you’re baking up something sweet?
Start by substituting half of the oil with applesauce and see if there’s much difference at all.
If that works for you, maybe next time substitute applesauce for all of the oil. Your family may be none the wiser that you’re feeding them healthier snacks.
Don’t worry, I won’t tell! Shhhhhhh….
Links In This Post
Other Easy Desserts
Cakes, Pies, Cobblers
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- Homemade Peach Cobbler
- Easy Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Mason-Jar Cheesecakes
- Homemade 3-Ingredient Graham Cracker Crust
- Apple Crumble QUICK With Pie Filling
- Easiest Blueberry Crisp Dessert
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
- No-Bake Lemon Icebox Pie
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Chunky Apple Cinnamon Muffins Or Bread Loaf
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Fast Dessert: Spiced Rum Fried Apples
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Healthier Sweet Potato Chocolate Brownies
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
- Light & Airy Cotton Candy Meringue Cookies
- Homemade Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- Banana Pudding – A Hug From The South
- (make your own homemade Vanilla Wafers too!)
- Making Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- Delicious Banana Pudding Made With Squash Puree!
Ice Cream & Other Desserts
- Easy Homemade Peach Ice Cream
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- No-Cook Chocolate Frosting
- Stir-n-Pour Drizzle Chocolate
- Easy Honey Glaze
- Homemade Whipped Cream (Sweetened With Honey)
- Cherry Pie Filling From Frozen Cherries
- Peach Pie Filling From Canned Peaches
- Apple Pie Filling
- Cinnamon/Vanilla Applesauce
- Apple Cider
- Dehydrated Cinnamon/Sugar Apple Chips
- Fruit Leather Rollups
Other Delicious Apple Recipes
- Homemade Apple Pie
- Apple Pies Baked In Canning Jars
- Single-Serve Apple Hand Pies
- Apple Crumble from Apples in Syrup
- Baked Apple Pie Tortilla Roll
- Quick, Hot Apple Dessert
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!