by Texas Homesteader ~
For every holiday gathering – whether Thanksgiving or Christmas – the non-negotiable dishes my family requests of the Taylor Household is that we bring RancherMan’s Famous Green-Bean Casserole and my sweet, desserty no-cook Cherry Schtuff. Now in the past I’d simply buy a can of cherry pie filling. But I was often very disappointed at the abundance of filling and significant lack of actual cherry in those cans. So these days I’ve found it’s much cheaper and oh-so-much-more delicious to make my own cherry pie filling. I use either canned or frozen cherries and BOOM!
I use the quick & easy recipe below to make a small 1-cup recipe of cherry pie filling. I’ll often double it when I’m making my Cherry Schtuff dessert so it will be even more cherrylicious. Why not? It’s EASY!
Here’s my recipe.
Small 1-Cup Cherry Pie Filling Recipe:
I was often very disappointed at the abundance of filling and lack of actual cherry in those purchased cans of cherry pie filling. So these days I've found it's cheaper and preferable to make my own cherry pie filling. I use canned or frozen cherries. #TexasHomesteader
- 1 cup Frozen or canned red tart cherries thawed for 24 hours in the refrigerator
- 1/2 cup Reserved drained cherry juice
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 HEAPING Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
WHISK together 1/2 cup cherry liquid, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 HEAPING Tablespoon cornstarch in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil until thickened and mixture begins to bubble.
Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Return to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add reserved cherries all at once. Return to a boil, stirring constantly but gently.
Remove from heat, stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Want More Holiday Cooking Tips & Recipes?
- No-Cook Cherry Dessert
- MYO Cherry Pie Filling Quickly
- Apple Pie With Home-Canned Apples
- Easy Pumpkin Bread (with Cake Mix Shortcut)
- Easy, Healthy Breakfast Muffins
- Honey-Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Double Pie Crust Recipe
- MYO Sweetened Condensed Milk
- MYO Broth Easily!
- Easy Cream-Of-ANYTHING Soup Recipe
- Easier Peeling For Boiled Eggs
- What Do The Dates On The Food Labels Mean?
- Keeping Hot Dishes HOT In Transit
- Keeping Food Safely COLD