Texas Homesteader ~
Fall is in the air, and for me that always means PUMPKIN! In searching for an easy pumpkin bread recipe I stumbled upon an easy one that starts with a box of cake mix.
Now of course you can buy your cake mix, but homemade versions abound on the internet. I’ve been making my own spice cake mix (recipe coming soon) and love it in this pumpkin bread recipe!
Jump to Recipe
Use Pumpkin Puree (NOT Pumpkin Pie Filling)
This time of year I have pumpkins from my garden. So I typically use my own drained Pumpkin Puree for the recipe. Remember, you’re using pumpkin PUREE not Pumpkin Pie FILLING.
(Note, these days I’m loving a different way of preserving my fresh garden pumpkin thank freezing the puree. I’m cooking & pureeing, then DEHYDRATING my fresh pumpkin instead. Then it’s easy to REHYDRATE and use that pumpkin puree later!)
I initially found a recipe over at BabySavers, so I used it as my base recipe. Of course I changed it to suit our tastes, and I love the way it turned out!
I already had a spice cake mix prepared & stored in a canning jar to use for either whipping up a quick cake or for using with this pumpkin bread recipe. My homemade spice cake mix calls for 3 eggs & 1 stick of butter, so those 2 items are pulled out for this pumpkin bread as well.
I simply mix my spice cake mix with the required eggs & melted butter in a large bowl. Then I add my pumpkin puree and the spices.
I mix it all just until incorporated and pour it into a greased loaf pan. You can now bake your pumpkin bread at 375 degrees Fahrenheit (or 350 for glass pans) for 50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Bake In Solar Oven – OR Regular Oven
But I baked mine in my solar oven. Have I mentioned how much I [heart] my solar oven?? It’s still hot & sticky in Texas, I just wanted to keep that baking heat outside where it belongs. Based on the light cloud cover of the day, my bread was done in about an hour & 20 minutes.
*About My Solar Oven: For those of you asking, I have a Sun Oven brand solar oven and I LOVE IT!
Honey/Pecan Glaze Option
This simple pumpkin bread is ready to go. Nothing else need be added. It’s delicious.
But sometimes you just want to ramp it up a bit, ya know?
RancherMan’s favorite topping for me to add to any of my sweet breads is a Honey/Pecan Glaze. It couldn’t be easier to mix up.
I’ll melt a tablespoon of butter, stir in a tablespoon of brown sugar and stir to dissolve the sugar. Then I add 1/4 cup of honey and stir until it’s all combined.
I add as many chopped pecans as I like to give the topping the pecan crunchiness I’m after. And BOOM! Honey/Pecan Glaze!
Anyhoo, topping or not – your choice. It’s delicious either way.
The recipe is below, I’ve added my notes in parentheses.
Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 1 box Yellow cake mix (I prefer spice cake mix)
- 1 15-oz can Pumpkin puree (or 2 cups less 2.5T homemade puree)
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp each nutmeg & allspice & ground cloves
Add'l ingredients depending upon your cake mix instructions:
- 1-3 eggs depending upon your cake mix requirements (3 eggs for my homemade cake mix - see your cake mix directions for amount)
- Vegetable oil or butter depending upon your cake mix requirements (1 stick melted butter for my homemade cake mix - see your cake mix directions for amount)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x5 loaf pan. (350 degrees for glass pan)
Consult your cake mix box to find the amount of eggs and oil as directed on the box. (for my homemade spice cake mix this was 3 eggs & 1 stick melted butter)
Combine cake mix, eggs and oil or butter in a bowl. Using a wooden spoon, mix batter until smooth.
Add pumpkin and spices. Mix just until until incorporated.
Pour batter into greased 9x5 loaf pan.
Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit (350 degrees for glass pan) for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Other Pumpkin Articles
- Cooking Pumpkin Puree In A Standard Oven
- Cooking Pumpkin Puree In A Solar Oven
- Dehydrating Fresh Pumpkin
- Rehydrating Dehydrated Pumpkin Puree
- Recipe: Pumpkin Granola
- Recipe: Easy Pumpkin Bread
Other Favorite Breads
- Soft Sandwich Bread
- Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
- Making Pre-Mix Bread Ingredient Packets
- Bread Machine Recipe: Honey Oatmeal Bread
- Making My Own Oat Flour For CHEAP
- No-Knead Rosemary Skillet Bread
- No-Knead Boule Bread
- Jalapeno/cheese Yeast Bread
- Jalapeno/Cheese/Beer Hamburger Buns
- Basic Beer Bread
- Rosemary/Cheddar Beer Bread
- Pesto Beer Bread
- Homemade Country-Style Buttermilk Biscuits
- Leftover Biscuit Dough Cinnamon Rolls!
- Snappy Jalapeno/Cheese Biscuits
- Jalapeno Cornbread
- Corn Dodgers – A Delicious Accident
- Mix-n-Pour Tortillas
- Easy Corn Tortillas
- Sweet Pumpkin Bread
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- My Favorite Bread-Making Kitchen Feature
- Homemade Bread-Making Shortcuts, Tips & Tricks
- Our Favorite Bread Recipes, All In One Post
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest, Instagram & Twitter
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!