by Texas Homesteader ~
My baby sis knows that I reuse various containers. So she’s always checking with me before she sends something to the recycling bin.
The other day she held up an empty container of Reggano Parmesan cheese (like you sprinkle on pizza) that she’d bought from Aldi. She asked if I’d like to have the empty container.
RancherMan HATES that stuff so I’m never able to buy it. So I enthusiastically accepted her offer. She was a bit surprised at my excitement. But when I told her what I was gonna do with it…
Remember my battle cry: Use WhatCha Got!
You see, the Parmesan lid she had perfectly fits a standard canning jar opening, whether 1/2 pint, pint or even quart. Several brands of Parmesan cheese have the same sized lid but not all do. Be sure to check.
I’ve wanted to get my hands on one of those lids for awhile. But again, RancherMan hates dried Parmesan cheese so I’ve never bought any. Now that I’ve gotten this empty jar from my sis I’ll get started repurposing it.
First I filled a small 1/2-pint jelly jar with baking soda. Then I took that lid off the flimsy plastic container the Parmesan lid came on. Instead I screwed that super-functional lid onto my glass canning jar of baking soda.
But why? Well I’m so glad you asked…
Ease When Baking
This is perfect to use when I’m baking! The small jar takes up very little space in my spice cabinet. And one side of the lid opens wide, making for easy measurement when I’m cooking.
Plus the top of the lid levels off the contents in my tablespoon. The excess simply falls back into the jar. No mess!
Y’all know I’m a big fan of ‘No Mess’. LOL
Non-Toxic Dish Powder
The other side of the flip-top lid has sprinkle holes. I’ll use this side when I’m scrubbing my pots & pans.
I typically use baking soda for an environmentally-friendly option when a little extra cleaning uuuumph is needed. It’s cheap, it’s effective and it’s non toxic. And now with this handy lid it’s also super easy.
Nice, Heavy Sprinkling For BBQ Rub Seasoning
I’ve since been gifted 2 or 3 of these handy lids and use them around the house. For instance – RancherMan has a favored recipe for BBQ rub.
At first we mixed it up in a repurposed seasoning shaker. But those holes just weren’t large enough to sprinkle the seasoning as liberally as he liked.
But his face lit up when I suggested he mix it up in a small 1/2 pint canning jar because this Parmesan lid would fit it. And the size of the shaker holes is perfect for his seasoning mix! Oh how he loves this repurpose.
The holes are large enough for him to sprinkle his seasoning liberally on the meat being grilled. And if he wants to make the Beer Mop Sauce, the other side of the lid opens for measuring-spoon access. Yep, this is perfect alright.
And the cost was free, free, FREE!
So if you find yourself with an empty jar of Parmesan cheese, don’t toss that handy lid. It can simplify lots of things in your kitchen.
Other Kitchen Homestead Hacks
- Easy Reminder For Kitchen Stove
- Make Your Slow Cooker More Efficient
- No Cooking Fat Down The Drain
- Labeling A Glass Jar
- Cleaning A Narrow-Neck Jar
- Keep That Broccoli Fresh
- Don’t Waste Onion Trimmings
- Heat-Free Way to Peel Tomatoes
- Cleaner Vegetable Chopping
- Quick Baking Measurement Reminder System
- Easily Separating Cream From Milk
- Using Frozen Water Bottles In The Kitchen
- Don’t Waste It – Free Vegetable Broth
- Easier Deviled Eggs – No Mess!
- MYO Crispy Taco Shells CHEAP
- Tame Kitchen Appliance Cords
- Save Your Fingernails When Cleaning
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Use ALL Of Your Spray Cleaner
- Quick Coffee Stain Cleaning
- Repurposing Mesh Bags For Scrubbers
- Cute Windowsill Container For Herb Cuttings
- …and many MORE!
Other Great Posts About Reducing Waste
- Reducing Plastic Is Easy
- I Love Mother Nature So I Recycle LESS!
- 7 Ways To Reduce Plastic In The Kitchen
- Ditch The Plastic! Using Glass In The Refrigerator
- Natural Air Freshener In Reusable Glass Jar
- Reducing Plastic In Personal Hygiene: Deodorant
- No More Plastic Razors – How To Use A Safety Razor
- Where Exactly Is ‘Away’?
- Replacing Plastic Wrap With Beeswax Wraps
- Eliminate Plastic Produce Bags
- Repurposing Empty Coffee Containers
- Denim Repurposed Into Fun Crafts
- 5 Zero-Waste Products We Love
- Easily Reduce Or Eliminate Junkmail
- Making Your Own Pourable Sugar Jar
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Repurposing A Parmesan Cheese Lid
- Zero-Waste Hygiene
- Natural Cleaning – Homemade Laundry Detergent
…and Many More Repurposing Posts
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea – lots of good folks sharing! You can also follow along on Pinterest,Twitter or Instagram.
If you’d like to receive an email each time a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to
Subscribe to our blog!