by Texas Homesteader ~
I’ve found a way to speed along the cooking times while keeping my slow cooker on set to a tiny energy-sipping ‘Low’ power. Check out today’s Homestead Hack.
Slow Cooker Simplicity
I sure love all my slow cookers here at the Homestead, and I use them a lot. Oftentimes for preparing our supper.
I mean, what’s not to love??! You plunk ingredients into the slow cooker’s vessel, push a button and walk away. The slow cooker does all the work!
Then when you drag in tired from a day at work you can instantly smell the delicious aroma of supper – already ready & waiting to serve!
But my slow cooker’s not reserved only for cooking supper. I also I use my slow cooker for overnight cooking.
But no matter what I’m cooking I want that slow cooker to do its job with the least amount of time & purchased energy possible. Don’t you?
Secret To Efficient Slow Cooking
Whether my slow cooker uses a glass lid or one of those plasticy-looking ones, insulating that top will help my slow cooker work more efficiently.
And it oftentimes cuts the cooking time drastically, even though the dial is set to ‘Low’
What’s this big secret? Lean closer. (shhhhh….) I simply lay a clean kitchen towel over the top of my slow cooker’s lid.
WHY DIDN’T I THINK OF THAT BEFORE?? Perhaps!
I’m tellin’ ya – this simple ‘why-didn’t-i-think-of-this-earlier trick allows the slow cooker to heat up faster and stay at those higher temperatures longer.
Who knew??!! So simple, yet so effective. Give it a try next time you’re running a little short on time in preparing your next slow-cooker meal – you’ll be amazed at how much more quickly it’ll cook.
Other Kitchen Hacks
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Easy Reminder For Kitchen Stove
- Make Your Slow Cooker More Efficient
- No Cooking Fat Down The Drain
- Labeling A Glass Jar
- Cleaning A Narrow-Neck Jar
- Keep That Broccoli Fresh
- Sneaking Healthy Vegetables Into Their Diet
- Don’t Waste Onion Trimmings
- What Do The Dates On Food Packages Actually Mean?
- Heat-Free Way to Peel Tomatoes
- Peel A Whole Head Of Garlic Cloves In Seconds
- Cleaner Vegetable Chopping
- Quick Baking Measurement Reminder System
- Easily Separating Cream From Milk
- Using Frozen Water Bottles In The Kitchen
- Don’t Waste It – Free Vegetable Broth
- Easier Deviled Eggs – No Mess!
- MYO Crispy Taco Shells CHEAP
- Tame Kitchen Appliance Cords
- Save Your Fingernails When Cleaning
- Expand Your Muffin Tin Capacity With Canning-Jar Rings
- Use ALL Of Your Spray Cleaner
- Quick Coffee Stain Cleaning
- Repurposing Mesh Bags For Scrubbers
- Cute Windowsill Container For Herb Cuttings
- Less Mess When Measuring Honey
- How To Tell If Your Baking Powder Is Still Good
- Easily Opening Those Stubborn Jars
- Instant Pot Boiled Eggs WITHOUT The Shells
- Saute & Freeze Onions For Kitchen Convenience
- Roasting Peppers Quickly On Gas Stove Top
- …and many MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing!
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!