by Texas Homesteader ~
I was baking some Beer Bread recently. As I pulled out the ingredients for my bread I noticed I was dangerously low on baking powder.
But wait, didn’t I see a large container stashed way in the back of the pantry just the other day?
I dug around until I found it. Wow, it’s apparently been in the pantry for quite some time. But it seems such a waste to just throw it away.
I wonder if it’s still good… So I decided to run a quick test.
I heated about 1/2 cup of water in the microwave until it was very hot. Then I measured 1/4 teaspoon from the older container of baking powder and dropped it into the hot water.
Hummm… Not much reaction at all. I wonder how that compares to the reaction I’d get with my current albeit low reserves of fresh baking powder.
So I repeated the experiment, this time with 1/4 teaspoon of fresh baking powder.
Wowser! The reaction was much more dramatic, immediately bubbling like crazy! S
o although I hate to waste this huge mammoth container of baking powder I’d found in the pantry – out the door it goes!
Yes I hate food waste, but I’ve just saved myself the time, expense & heartache of a flopped recipe in the future.
If you have baking powder in your spice cabinet and wonder if it’s still got any ooomph, this is a quick & easy way to find out.
I’ve also heard you can do this same experiment with baking soda if you add a splash of vinegar to the hot water.
But heck, baking soda is used so often around our homestead whether Cleaning our Coffee Mugs or just general Non-Toxic Scrubbing Power when cleaning our home, it never has a chance to get old here. LOL.
Other Kitchen Hacks
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Easy Reminder For Kitchen Stove
- Make Your Slow Cooker More Efficient
- No Cooking Fat Down The Drain
- Labeling A Glass Jar
- Cleaning A Narrow-Neck Jar
- Keep That Broccoli Fresh
- Sneaking Healthy Vegetables Into Their Diet
- Don’t Waste Onion Trimmings
- What Do The Dates On Food Packages Actually Mean?
- Heat-Free Way to Peel Tomatoes
- Peel A Whole Head Of Garlic Cloves In Seconds
- Cleaner Vegetable Chopping
- Quick Baking Measurement Reminder System
- Easily Separating Cream From Milk
- Using Frozen Water Bottles In The Kitchen
- Don’t Waste It – Free Vegetable Broth
- Easier Deviled Eggs – No Mess!
- MYO Crispy Taco Shells CHEAP
- Tame Kitchen Appliance Cords
- Save Your Fingernails When Cleaning
- Expand Your Muffin Tin Capacity With Canning-Jar Rings
- Use ALL Of Your Spray Cleaner
- Quick Coffee Stain Cleaning
- Repurposing Mesh Bags For Scrubbers
- Cute Windowsill Container For Herb Cuttings
- Less Mess When Measuring Honey
- How To Tell If Your Baking Powder Is Still Good
- Easily Opening Those Stubborn Jars
- Instant Pot Boiled Eggs WITHOUT The Shells
- Saute & Freeze Onions For Kitchen Convenience
- Roasting Peppers Quickly On Gas Stove Top
- …and many MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing!
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!