by Texas Homesteader ~
I’m a shoot-from-the-hip kinda girl in the kitchen. Cooking is not my favorite activity so it’s not unusual for me to double (or more) a recipe I’m making.
I started using today’s Homestead Hack waaaaay back when my children were young. It seems they were constantly coming into the kitchen breaking my concentration while I was baking.
You too? Well check out this Homestead Hack for easy ways to keep track of your cooking measurements.
Increasing The Recipe
As a matter of routine I typically bake all of my handsome RancherMan’s bread. His favorite is sandwich bread and I bake it for him several times each week.
That’s because for years I struggled baking up a fluffy loaf. But I’ve FINALLY been able to nail down a homemade bread recipe that resulted in a light fluffy loaf.
Since I make bread so often I have come up with some Bread-Making Shortcuts. It assures my time in the kitchen is shorter since I’m not starting out from scratch each & every time.
One of the shortcuts involves amending my 2-loaf recipe to three loaves since my oven will hold 3 loaf pans at one time. Why not?
I’ve already pulled all my ingredients, measuring cups, measuring spoons, mixing bowls, etc. And I’ve already fired up the heat on the oven – let’s fill that bad boy up & bake as many as it’ll hold!
But y’all know how confusing it can be when you’re changing a recipe. You’re concentrating on the ingredients and calculating in your head how much more you’ll need to add. Sometimes you end up wondering how many cups you’ve already added.
When measuring and adding ingredients I used to often stop midway through and ask myself “Was that 4 cups of flour or 5 that I’ve already dumped into the bowl?” Ugh. The wrong measure of ingredients can mess up a recipe fast, y’all.
Simple Way To Track Measurements
So now when I’m baking (and especially when I’m changing a recipe) I use this handy hack to keep track of the measurements.
I’ll bring out a small cup that I keep nearby containing a few of my grandmother’s old vintage buttons. Those vintage buttons will help me with my recipe.
For making my multi-batch bread for instance, I’ll pick from that small cup 7 large black buttons and one smaller white one (for the 1/2 cup).
When I dump a cup of flour into the bowl I slide one of the large black buttons aside. I simply repeat until they’re all moved. Then I measure & add my 1/2 cup for the white button.
Heck, using this Homestead Hack I don’t even have to keep count. I can carry on a conversation with RancherMan while I’m measuring and not worry about tracking the individual cups measured. When all the buttons are moved, I’m done!
I use the same procedure whether I’m measuring cups of flour or teaspoons of yeast. When I get to the next ingredient I simply pull the number of buttons corresponding to the number of cups, tablespoons or teaspoons.
When all my ingredients are measured the buttons are just wiped off and placed back into the cup. They stand ready to use next time!
This Homestead Hack has served me well for many years. And it’s probably saved more recipes from disaster than I can count!
I also love that my beloved grandmother still has a hand in my baking. Proof that those whom you love are never truly gone.
Other Kitchen Hacks
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Easy Reminder For Kitchen Stove
- Make Your Slow Cooker More Efficient
- No Cooking Fat Down The Drain
- Labeling A Glass Jar
- Cleaning A Narrow-Neck Jar
- Keep That Broccoli Fresh
- Sneaking Healthy Vegetables Into Their Diet
- Don’t Waste Onion Trimmings
- What Do The Dates On Food Packages Actually Mean?
- Heat-Free Way to Peel Tomatoes
- Peel A Whole Head Of Garlic Cloves In Seconds
- Cleaner Vegetable Chopping
- Quick Baking Measurement Reminder System
- Don’t Waste It – Free Vegetable Broth
- Easier Deviled Eggs – No Mess!
- MYO Crispy Taco Shells CHEAP
- Tame Kitchen Appliance Cords
- Expand Your Muffin Tin Capacity With Canning-Jar Rings
- Use ALL Of Your Spray Cleaner
- Cute Windowsill Container For Herb Cuttings
- How To Tell If Your Baking Powder Is Still Good
- Easily Opening Those Stubborn Jars
- Saute & Freeze Onions For Kitchen Convenience
- Roasting Peppers Quickly On Gas Stove Top
- Our Endless Soap Dispenser Setup
- …and many MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing!
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!