by Texas Homesteader ~
Long, long ago I gave up disposable paper napkins in our home. We’ve used cloth napkins exclusively since the kids were babies. Then over a decade ago I was finally able to wean RancherMan off paper towels too. I keep him supplied in plenty of repurposed rags to take their place.
But you know, there are times when a paper napkin would really come in handy. Especially if you have guests who desire a more disposable option. You know, for when they look at you wide-eyed and exclaim in disbelief: “Really? You have NO paper napkins??!!” Yes, I’ve actually had this happen before – more than once! LOL
So in order to have disposable paper napkins on hand for those moments, do I go against my environmental bend? Do I take a deep breath & purchase a pack of plastic-wrapped disposable paper napkins anyway? Nope. Come see this easy ‘why-didn’t-I-think-of-that-before’ moment. Use whatcha got, y’all!
Several years ago when RancherMan & I stopped at a drive-through for a quick burger I looked at those 3-4 leftover paper napkins the clerk had added to our bag. I hate to throw them away but handing them back through the window isn’t a good option from a hygiene standpoint. So like most people I popped them into our car’s glove box in case we needed a paper napkin when we’re on the road. But over time they really stacked up. So I thought – why not bring ’em into the house & store them for those times when they’re needed??
So I repurposed this plastic snap-top container that was left when someone brought food for us after a surgery. I layer those leftover napkins in & snap the lid shut to keep everything tidy.
When someone asks for a paper napkin I can quickly pull this container out & oblige them! Plus I’ve kept these unwanted paper napkins from just being tossed. Once again an environmental shot, score & win for Use Whatcha Got!
Other Kitchen Homestead Hacks
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Easy Reminder For Kitchen Stove
- Make Your Slow Cooker More Efficient
- No Cooking Fat Down The Drain
- Labeling A Glass Jar
- Cleaning A Narrow-Neck Jar
- Keep That Broccoli Fresh
- Sneaking Healthy Vegetables Into Their Diet
- Don’t Waste Onion Trimmings
- Heat-Free Way to Peel Tomatoes
- Cleaner Vegetable Chopping
- Quick Baking Measurement Reminder System
- Easily Separating Cream From Milk
- Using Frozen Water Bottles In The Kitchen
- Don’t Waste It – Free Vegetable Broth
- Easier Deviled Eggs – No Mess!
- MYO Crispy Taco Shells CHEAP
- Tame Kitchen Appliance Cords
- Save Your Fingernails When Cleaning
- Expand Your Muffin Tin Capacity With Canning-Jar Rings
- Use ALL Of Your Spray Cleaner
- Quick Coffee Stain Cleaning
- Repurposing Mesh Bags For Scrubbers
- Cute Windowsill Container For Herb Cuttings
- Less Mess When Measuring Honey
- How To Tell If Your Baking Powder Is Still Good
- Easily Opening Those Stubborn Jars
- …and many MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing!
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!