by Texas Homesteader ~
Y’all know my aunt sends me home with bushels of apples every year. I get to work making all sorts of fun things with them. There are some examples of apple recipes we’ve enjoyed at the bottom of this post. But one thing I like to do with those fresh apples is to make & can apple pie filling. Then even when unexpected company shows, homemade dessert is ready in a flash.
For a fast appley dessert I can use that homemade apple pie filling to make homemade Apple Pie. Or maybe something even faster – Apple Crumble.
I’ve written before about using my homemade apples canned in syrup to make a homemade apple crumble. But this pie-filling-based crumble recipe is even more straightforward. And there’s almost half the ingredients too.
You see, it uses actual apple pie filling instead of apples in syrup. You’re basically just mixing up the actual crumble to stir in.
I’d think you could use any flavor pie filling – homemade or purchased. I used apple because obviously that’s what I had on hand.
It’s also pretty adaptable. Like a deeper crumble? Double the pie filling. Like more crumble topping? Double it and add more to the top. I even like to add more chopped nuts to the top of the crumble for that little extra sumpin’. However you like it – it’s all up to you!
Here’s what I did for my crumble.
Quick Mixing Instructions
I pulled out a quart jar of my apple pie filling, a large bowl & a 6×6 baking dish. I poured the apple pie filling into the baking dish and mixed the other ingredients in the bowl – flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt & butter. I typically add chopped nuts if I have them in my kitchen. But this crumble is delicious with or without added nuts.
Half of the oat mixture was stirred into the apple pie filling, the rest was sprinkled on top. I dotted the top with a few butter pats, but that’s just my preference.
Then into the oven it goes, baking at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Sometimes when it comes out of the oven I sprinkle on some homemade granola since I always make RancherMan’s granola without dried fruit. Again just my preference but that’s not really part of the recipe. Yep that’s the way I roll in the kitchen – shooting from the hip!
This is one of the easiest and quickest desserts in my repertoire. Heck I can stir this together and have it baking as we’re enjoying supper. Then it’s hot & ready when it’s time for dessert. And you can top it with whipped cream or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you like.
Quick Apple Crumble Dessert Made With Apple Pie Filling
- 1 20-oz can Apple pie filling (or 1 quart home-canned apple pie filling)
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats, I usually blend about 1/2 quick cooking and 1/2 old fashioned oats,
- 1/4 Cup Packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons Softened butter
- 1/4 cup Chopped nuts (optional) I prefer pecans
In a medium bowl mix the dry ingredients. Cut in softened butter and set bowl aside.
Pour apple pie filling into an approximately 6x6 casserole dish. Sprinkle 1/2 of the oat mixture over the apples and fold gently to mix.
Sprinkle remaining oat mixture on top. Add additional chopped nuts on top, if desired.
Place into a 350-degree oven for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Apple Pie Filling
- Cinnamon/Vanilla Applesauce
- Apple Cider
- Cinnamon/Sugar Apple Chips
- Fruit Leather Rollups
Other Delicious Apple Recipes
- Homemade Apple Pie
- Apple Pies Baked In Canning Jars
- Single-Serve Apple Hand Pies
- Apple Crumble from Apples in Syrup
- Baked Apple Pie Tortilla Roll
- Quick, Hot Apple Dessert
Other Easy Desserts
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Chocolate Pudding In A FLASH
- Banana Pudding – A Hug From The South
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Homemade Honey Graham Crackers
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
- Sugar-Free Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- Rich & Creamy Hot Cocoa
…And MANY MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea – lots of good folks sharing! You can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
If you’d like to receive an email each time a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to Subscribe to our blog!