by Texas Homesteader ~
I know, I know – I’ve been posting lots of recipes lately. It’s almost hard to tell how much I hate to cook, huh? (oh yeah, true words y’all.) But I know there’s gonna be a function you’ll be attending and maybe you’ll need to bring a dessert like cookies.
Peanut butter is my favorite cookie. F-A-V-O-R-I-T-E!! But see the previous ‘hate to cook‘ statement above. Lately I’ve been experimenting with a recipe that’s been circling the internet for quite a while using only 3 ingredients. Yep, three. It’s so straightforward you don’t even need a recipe for it (although I’ll share it anyway). You’re NOT gonna believe this!
Now of course this oh-so-simple cookie recipe won’t compete with your great Aunt Gertie’s famous peanut butter cookie recipe passed down from generation to generation. And like many peanut butter recipes they do have a slight sugar-grain feel. But if I do say myself, they’re pretty darn good! Ready for the ingredient list?
1 egg, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup peanut butter
Pinky swear, that’s all it takes! And by golly you just plunk it all in a bowl, stir to mix and then start plopping them on a cookie sheet. Really, does it get any easier than that??
Trial & Error
I first tried this recipe using ‘sugar in the raw’ thinking it’d be more molassesy or something. Although the taste was good, the texture was not. I’ve always thought peanut butter cookies had a subtle sugar-grain feel to them, but these were downright gritty.
No problem, RancherMan scarfed up that batch of ‘mistake cookies’. LOL.
Then I tried the recipe with granulated sugar instead. I also added a tiny 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract in the batter because I love the taste of vanilla too. The texture was much improved and the cookies baked up smoother with a lighter color too. We both loved these.
I may experiment with brown sugar for future batches of these peanut butter cookies. But a cup of brown sugar sounds like a lot. Maybe half brown sugar & half granulated?
Or heck maybe I won’t change a thing. They were delicious and really hit the spot. And you can’t beat a recipe with three tiny ingredients #amiright??
Perfect Batch Size Of 16-18 Cookies
This recipe is not only easy, it’s all baked on one cookie sheet at one time. Mine typically makes about 16-18 cookies. This is a good thing from a time standpoint because it’s 12 minutes in & out of the oven and you’re done.
As promised here’s the ‘recipe’, as it were…
3-Ingredient Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 extra-large egg
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- (optional) 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Stir all ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl until completely incorporated & batter is smooth.
Scoop dough into 1" balls and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
NOTE: These cookies will not spread much, so you can bake the whole batch of cookies at one time.
To make a criss-cross pattern, press on the top of each cookie with the back of a fork, and then press again from the opposite direction.
Bake for 12 minutes then remove from oven. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for a couple more minutes before placing them on a wire rack to cool completely.
Store cooled cookies in an airtight container.
- My medium-sized cookie scoop netted me about 17 cookies for each batch.
- The entire batch fit on my 12" x 17" cookie sheet and I baked them all at one time. What a time saver!
- I first tried this recipe with 'sugar in the raw'. It's a less refined sugar in slightly larger granules that supposedly allows the natural molasses flavor to come out. Sounds like a winner for a peanut butter cookie recipe, right? Wrong. The larger granules made for a gritty cookie. (We ate them anyway! 😉 )
- I like to use an extra large egg for this recipe. Two small eggs may be a little much but the extra large adds just the right amount of egg to result in a firm yet soft-to-the-bite cookie.
Other Easy Desserts
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- No-Cook Chocolate Frosting
- Stir-n-Pour Drizzle Chocolate
- Quick Homemade Whipped Cream
- Easy Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Apple Crumble QUICK With Pie Filling
- Fast Dessert: Spiced Rum Fried Apples
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Chocolate Pudding In A FLASH
- Banana Pudding – A Hug From The South
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Shortcake
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Homemade Honey Graham Crackers
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
- Sugar-Free Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- Rich & Creamy Hot Cocoa
- …And MANY MORE!