by Texas Homesteader ~
*contains affiliate link
It’s hot, hot HOT out there, y’all! Here in NE Texas it seems we went from winter to summer with nary a mild spring day between! So I’m focusing these days on serving cooler foods and cold desserts.
But I wanna keep it healthy too. RancherMan loves, loves, LOVES ice cream, especially when it’s this hot outside. But it’s just not healthy to indulge in such a high-fat treat too often.
So I started making a cold dessert ‘ice cream’ using frozen bananas for the sweetness and frozen berries for an extra punch of flavor.
(Note: Some links in this post are for further information from earlier posts I’ve written. But links preceded with * are affiliate links. If you click them and buy something (almost anything, not just the item noted) I could receive a tiny commission. But the price you pay will NOT change. It’s an easy way to support this blog without anything coming out of your pocket. So click often! Thank you!)
Cold Sweet Treats
I’ve written before about making a mock fat-free ice cream using frozen bananas and pudding mix. The pudding makes the ice cream more creamy and less icy. But I was looking for something even a little healthier.
Making this healthier sweet frozen treat literally takes only minutes. That’s important y’all – I don’t want to spend time in the kitchen.
Healthy Cold Sweet Treat
A cold, sweet treat that’s healthy & cheap plus fast & easy to prepare? Yes please! I literally just loosely chop the fruit & plunk everything into my Ninja at one time. Done & done!
Plus it’s super cheap. When the grocery store begs customers to buy those over-ripe bananas by offering them for almost nothing, I snatch them up.
When I get them home I peel them & toss them in the freezer. I do the same thing with other various quick-sale fruits & berries.
It seems this ripe fruit is even more sweet than its less-ripe counterpart. And I’m helping eliminate food waste by snatching up food that the store may have had to throw away soon.
Making Healthier ‘Ice Cream’
On this day I brought out three of the frozen bananas, a handful of frozen strawberries, some vanilla extract & some of our honey from our own apiary along with my *Ninja Blender.
(Have I mentioned lately how much I LOVE that thing??!!)
If you’ll remember I initially bought my Ninja because my regular blender just wasn’t blending our ‘ice cream’ smoothly enough.
This Ninja rocks, y’all! (I try to share all the items we use & love in our Homesteading Tools tab above – feel free to check out our faves!)
Blending Frozen Fruit
Anyway, I chopped the bananas & tossed them into my ninja. Then I chopped several frozen strawberries – about a heaping cup’s worth. You can add as much as you like though.
I added the chopped strawberries to the Ninja. And I also tossed in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and a couple of tablespoons of honey because RancherMan likes it sweet.
Then I give it all a quick whir until it was all blended together. This makes a soft-set type of ice cream ready to eat right then, right there.
But if you want your sweet treat more firm you can toss it into the freezer for about an hour.
If you have flavored liquid creamers it’s super fun to toss in a couple of tablespoons for a little extra sumpin’ but it’s totally not necessary. In the past I’ve added French Vanilla or Hazelnut and RancherMan really seemed to like it.
But it’s delicious one way or the other. And quick to prepare too. Here’s the recipe:
Healthy Banana & Berry 'Ice Cream'
When it's hot outside it's refreshing to eat ice cream. But it's not healthy to eat it every day. How about this version - frozen bananas and berries blended into smoothy ice-creaminess. #TexasHomesteader
- 3 Frozen Bananas, chopped
- 1 heaping cup Frozen Strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Honey (optional for added sweetness)
- 2 Tablespoons French Vanilla or Hazelnut Flavored Liquid Creamer (optional)
Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Can be enjoyed immediately as soft-serve consistency, or placed in freezer for 1 hour for a firmer treat.
Other Easy Desserts
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- Quick Homemade Whipped Cream
- Easy Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Apple Crumble QUICK With Pie Filling
- Fast Dessert: Spiced Rum Fried Apples
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Healthier Sweet Potato Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate Pudding In A FLASH
- Banana Pudding – A Hug From The South
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Shortcake
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Easy Homemade Peach Ice Cream
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Homemade Honey Graham Crackers
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
- Sugar-Free Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- Rich & Creamy Hot Cocoa
- Chocolate-Covered Rice Krispie Treats
- No-Cook Chocolate Frosting
- Stir-n-Pour Drizzle Chocolate
- Easy Honey Glaze
- Homemade Whipped Cream (Sweetened With Honey)
- Cherry Pie Filling From Frozen Cherries
- Peach Pie Filling From Canned Peaches
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!