by Texas Homesteader ~
Our daughter came to the homestead recently for a long-overdue visit. Now although she currently lives on the east coast she’s got deep roots in Texas. Inside she’s a Texas girl through and through. She longed for some good ‘ole Southern eating during her visit. So I made banana pudding for dessert.
Vanilla Pudding Recipe Made Into Banana Pudding
She loved the homemade goodness! I simply used my vanilla pudding recipe and added the bananas and cookies. I’ll show my procedure to you here and I’ll share my recipe below.
First I pulled out and measured all the ingredients. This makes it easier when the pudding is cooking to not have to stop & measure. Or heaven forbid leave something out! Ask me how I know… eh hem. Moving on!
I should note here that you can include up to 3 egg yolks to make a richer pudding – I usually just go with one though.
Pudding is one of the easiest desserts to whip up and preparing the pudding was a snap. I combined the sugar, flour and salt and stirred together in my pan. Then I added the boiling water and the butter.
After the butter melted I blended the egg yolk into the milk and poured it into the pudding. It was gently simmered until it began to thicken.
Just as it was starting to thicken I mashed a banana and stirred it right into the pudding. I think it infuses the banana flavor nicely. When the pudding was as thick as I wanted it I pulled it from the heat, added the vanilla and stirred it in.
Then I prepared the pudding dish. The dish was lined with cookies and I placed a layer of sliced bananas on the bottom.
I poured the hot pudding into the dish and topped it with cookies. You can either crush the cookies and sprinkle them on top or simply place a layer of cookies on top so it covers completely.
When it’s time to serve I line a cute vintage wide-mouth 1/2 pint jelly jar with a few wafers and spooned the warm pudding in. Our daughter loved the pudding and it gave her a home-spun southern-country hug that she had been craving.
Individual Servings Option
At other gatherings when I’ve whipped up this banana pudding I’ve also served them in single-serve 1/2-pint jelly jars. I love the way they look.
It was easy, I just layered cookies on the bottom and then poured in the pudding to fill about a third of the jar. Then I chopped some bananas and laid them on top of the pudding, added a crumbled cookie, and finished filling up the jar with additional pudding. A dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of crushed cookies on top and BAM! Now that’s a fun presentation, y’all!
And now as promised, here’s my vanilla pudding recipe – simply add the bananas and cookies if you prefer a delicious homemade banana pudding. Enjoy!
* * * * * * * * * *
Homemade Vanilla Pudding (w/Banana Pudding Add-Ins)
Good ole comfort food. Homemade Banana Pudding - could anything be better??
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1 Dash Salt
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Egg Yolk, beaten (can use up to 3 for richer pudding)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Banana Pudding Add-Ins:
- 1 Banana mashed (Add-ins for Banana Pudding)
- 1 - 2 Bananas, or to taste chopped (Add-ins for Banana Pudding)
- 20 Nilla Wafers, or to taste (Add-ins for Banana Pudding)
Mix sugar, flour & salt together in skillet on stove.
Add boiling water & butter and stir to combine and turn heat on medium. Heat until butter is melted
Mix milk and beaten egg yolk together in separate container and pour into the pudding and stir.
OPTIONAL: For Banana Pudding, add 1 mashed banana now
Continue to cook over medium heat until thickened. When pudding is thick remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
Allow pudding to cool slightly - either serve warm or cover top of pudding with cling wrap to keep skin from forming and store in the refrigerator.
OPTIONAL - For Banana Pudding, add chopped bananas atop a bed of vanilla wafers, ladle on pudding & top with additional vanilla wafers as desired.
NOTE: Can use up to 3 yolks for a richer pudding
Other Easy Desserts
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- No-Cook Chocolate Frosting
- Stir-n-Pour Drizzle Chocolate
- Quick Homemade Whipped Cream
- Easy Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Apple Crumble QUICK With Pie Filling
- Fast Dessert: Spiced Rum Fried Apples
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Chocolate Pudding In A FLASH
- Banana Pudding – A Hug From The South
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Shortcake
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Homemade Honey Graham Crackers
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
- Sugar-Free Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- Rich & Creamy Hot Cocoa
- Chocolate-Covered Rice Krispie Treats
- …And MANY MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest,Twitter or Instagram
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!