by Texas Homesteader ~
Did you know you could actually make your own gluten free mix-n-serve no-cook instant chocolate pudding mix??! Well believe it because it’s really true! But there’s a simple trick to it… Don’t worry, it’s easy!
(Note: Some links in this post will take you to other related articles for further information. But links preceded with * are affiliate links. If you click and buy something I could receive a tiny commission.)
Can You Make Your Own Instant Pudding Mix?
I always make Homemade Pudding from scratch these days. But what about times when you need a gluten-free dry pudding mix for a recipe?
Or what if you don’t want to heat up the kitchen to make dessert? Wouldn’t it be great if you could make your own mix-n-serve dry chocolate pudding mix? You know, like the stuff you buy in the store?
I’m telling you that YOU CAN. And it’s easier than you thought! But there’s a secret ingredient, y’all…
What Makes Instant Pudding Mix ‘Instant’?
You can’t just blend the cocoa & sugar together and get a thickened pudding. But how do you make your pudding mix-n-serve instant?
*Clear Jel Instant Corn Starch! (The instant one, y’all. Not the type that must be cooked.) It’s amazing stuff! It doesn’t rely on heat to thicken, it’s the secret ingredient in mix-n-serve instant pudding.
Where to Find ClearJel Modified Corn Starch
ClearJel is just a modified corn starch. But the USDA has documented that it’s safer for use in canning than traditional corn starch.
But you can buy instant ClearJel too and it doesn’t even require heat to thicken.
I discovered it’s impossible to find in the stores around here. But I was finally able to find *Clear Jel on Amazon.
So I ordered both the regular (for canning) as well as the instant no-cook formulas.
Instant Cornstarch Needs No Cooking
The beauty of the *Instant ClearJel formula is that it doesn’t require heat to thicken.
That’s PERFECT for making this no-cook pudding mix!
As a confirmed Chocoholic I usually make chocolate-flavored pudding mix. But I’m guessing you could make vanilla as well by leaving out the cocoa.
Instant No-Cook Chocolate Pudding Mix Recipe
Here’s how I make my simple instant no-cook chocolate pudding mix:
3/4 cup dry fat-free powdered milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup instant no-cook ClearJel corn starch
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
Then using a whisk I mix it all up thoroughly. I store the mix in a labeled, lidded jar in my pantry.
Using Homemade Instant Pudding Mix For Dessert
When it’s just too hot to heat up the kitchen for dessert but RancherMan’s in the mood for something sweet, I can whip up homemade pudding in minutes using this instant pudding mix.
Each serving requires about ¼ cup of instant pudding mix, so multiply the instructions below based on the number of servings desired.
1 Part Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix (about 1/4 cup per serving)
1 Part Milk
(stir until completely blended, then add)
1 Part Cold Coffee (or another part milk)
Tiny splash of vanilla extract
So for each serving of pudding I mix up ¼ cup homemade pudding mix, ¼ cup milk, ¼ cup cold coffee (or replace with more milk) and a splash of vanilla extract.
I add everything together & stir until the pudding thickens – usually 2 minutes or less.
The milk is already chilled so the pudding is ready to serve!
Why Use Coffee In Chocolate Pudding?
I’ve had some readers ask: “Why the coffee“? Well, when I’m making anything chocolate I always add at least a little coffee to the wet ingredients of the recipe.
Coffee intensifies the chocolate flavor mucho.
But if you’re not a coffee drinker, can you still make this instant pudding mix? Of course!
How Much Pudding Mix Equals A Box Of Instant Pudding?
I love having my own homemade no-cook instant pudding mix. And it only uses simple ingredients I recognize.
And a small 1/2 cup of this homemade mix replaces a typical 4 oz box of purchased instant pudding mix. No need to buy it!
And there ya go – homemade instant no-cook pudding mix! Wow, really, does it get easier than that?? The recipe is below – enjoy!
Did you make this Instant Chocolate Pudding? Please rate the recipe in your comment below!
Chocolate Instant No-Cook Dry Pudding Mix
There's no need to buy those little boxes of chocolate no-cook pudding mix. You can easily make your own convenient mix in minutes. Perfect for a nice cool dessert on a hot summer day. Just mix 1 part homemade pudding mix with 2 parts milk. #TexasHomesteader
- 3/4 cup dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Instant No-Cook Clear Jel corn starch
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
Combine all ingredients in a bowl & stir the until they are completely combined. Store in a cool dry place in a tightly-sealed container.
To use the dry mix in baking, 1/2 cup of the mixture will replace a 4-oz. pkg of instant pudding mix.
NOTE: To use this baking pudding mix recipe as an instant pudding dessert, add 1 part pudding mix to 2 parts cold milk (can substitute 1 part milk with cold coffee if desired) Beat vigorously with a whisk until all lumps are removed and pudding is thickened, about 2 minutes.
Since it's a very basic pudding mix I like to add a couple of drops of vanilla extract for a pop of extra flavor.
This makes a very thick pudding so add a small amount of milk (or cold coffee) if a thinner consistency is desired. (Pudding thickens more upon chilling.)
Other Easy Desserts
Cakes, Pies, Cobblers
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- Homemade Peach Cobbler
- Easy Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Mason-Jar Cheesecakes
- Homemade 3-Ingredient Graham Cracker Crust
- Apple Crumble QUICK With Pie Filling
- Easiest Blueberry Crisp Dessert
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
- No-Bake Lemon Icebox Pie
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Chunky Apple Cinnamon Muffins Or Bread Loaf
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Fast Dessert: Spiced Rum Fried Apples
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Healthier Sweet Potato Chocolate Brownies
- How To Bake Muffins Without A Muffin Pan
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
- Light & Airy Cotton Candy Meringue Cookies
- Grandma’s Homemade Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- Banana Pudding – A Hug From The South
- (make your own homemade Vanilla Wafers too!)
- Making Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- Delicious Banana Pudding Made With Squash Puree!
Ice Cream & Other Desserts
- Easy Homemade Peach Ice Cream
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- No-Cook Chocolate Frosting
- Stir-n-Pour Drizzle Chocolate
- Easy Honey Glaze
- Homemade Whipped Cream (Sweetened With Honey)
- Cherry Pie Filling From Frozen Cherries
- Peach Pie Filling From Canned Peaches
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest, on Twitter or on Instagram
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!
* A word about our Affiliate Link – We are currently enrolled as an Amazon Affiliate. Occasionally I will insert an affiliate link into one of my posts if I think it may be of interest to you, in this case Clear Jel corn modified corn starch.
I purchased the Clear Jel myself and receive nothing from the manufacturer but it was difficult for me to locate – I use it a lot & thought you might too.
When you buy something through the affiliate link it’s a great way to support this blog without anything coming out of your pocket so please click often! (you can read the legalese here…)
* * * * * * * * * *