by Texas Homesteader~
Recently I wrote about all the things I was able to make and preserve using the apples my aunt shared with me from her very prolific backyard apple tree.
But now it’s time to put that apple pie filling to the test. Let’s see what kind of convenience food I’ve been able to provide for the supper table.
I had just fed RancherMan a pretty simple meal of homemade chicken & dumplings. And although it was delicious, it was still a pretty basic meal.
Usually when I serve a meager meal I like to include a delicious homemade dessert to add a little POP!
So I eyed a quart jar of those home-canned apples and decided I would make him an apple pie. Since the apples have already been processed, this is gonna be super EASY (and quick).
Homemade Apple Pie In A FLASH!
First I whipped up my recipe for a Double 9″ Flaky Pie Crust. I rolled out half and lined the bottom and sides of my grandmother’s vintage pie plate with the bottom crust. Then I opened a quart of that home-canned apple pie filling and poured it in.
With the remaining dough I rolled out and quickly cut it into strips using a small pizza cutter. I’ll use these strips to make a lattice top for my pie.
Now while cutting the crust for the lattice top was quick, it still involved weaving strips to form the lattice. I’m not sure that the lattice top was worth the effort it took nor the difficulty it contributed to a nice neat cut of my baked pie.
Next time I’ll probably just roll out two sheets, one for the bottom & sides of the pie and a top sheet to go over the filling. I’ll just cut a couple of slits to let the steam escape and I’ll be done.
But this time I used those strips of dough to weave a lattice design on top. I’ll admit, it did turn out pretty. Now all that’s left is to put my apple pie into my oven heated to 375 degrees.
I baked my pie for 35 minutes and it baked up perfectly. Then I cut it into thick hearty slices and topped them with a little dollop of whipped topping. (OK a smidge larger than a dollop for RancherMan’s serving!)
I felt like June Cleaver as I served this homemade apple pie hot from the oven.
So there ya have it – easy homemade apple pie from scratch in minutes!
Now THAT’S my kind of convenience food.
Other Easy Desserts
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- No-Cook Chocolate Frosting
- Stir-n-Pour Drizzle Chocolate
- Easy Honey Glaze
- Quick Homemade Whipped Cream
- Easy Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Apple Crumble QUICK With Pie Filling
- Fast Dessert: Spiced Rum Fried Apples
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Chocolate Pudding In A FLASH
- Banana Pudding – A Hug From The South
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Shortcake
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Easy Homemade Peach Ice Cream
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Homemade Honey Graham Crackers
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
- Sugar-Free Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- Rich & Creamy Hot Cocoa
- Chocolate-Covered Rice Krispie Treats
- …And MANY MORE!
Holiday Cooking Tips & Recipes
- No-Cook Cherry Dessert
- MYO Cherry Pie Filling Quickly
- Apple Pie With Home-Canned Apples
- Easy Pumpkin Bread (with Cake Mix Shortcut)
- Easy, Healthy Breakfast Muffins
- Honey-Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Double Pie Crust Recipe
- MYO Sweetened Condensed Milk
- MYO Broth Easily!
- Easy Cream-Of-ANYTHING Soup Recipe
- Easier Peeling For Boiled Eggs
- What Do The Dates On The Food Labels Mean?
- Keeping Hot Dishes HOT In Transit
- Keeping Food Safely COLD
- Apple Pie Filling
- Cinnamon/Vanilla Applesauce
- Apple Cider
- Cinnamon/Sugar Apple Chips
- Fruit Leather Rollups
Other Delicious Apple Recipes
- Homemade Apple Pie
- Apple Pies Baked In Canning Jars
- Single-Serve Apple Hand Pies
- Apple Crumble from Apples in Syrup
- Baked Apple Pie Tortilla Roll
- Quick, Hot Apple Dessert
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest,Twitter or Instagram
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!