by Texas Homesteader ~
Recently we received some really beautiful garden-fresh strawberries. Oh the beauty of them! I decided I’d use them to make one of my favorite desserts – strawberry shortcake!
But in the past I always bought the little round shortcakes wrapped in plastic when I’d made strawberry shortcake. This time I wanted to make it all from scratch.
So I sat out to find a recipe I liked. I found one on the AllRecipes site that looked pretty straightforward so I decided to give it a try. I mean, these beautiful strawberries deserve the best #amiright??
The shortcake recipe called for simple ingredients such as flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla, nutmeg, butter, egg & milk. Heck I had all of that waiting in my kitchen!
So let’s bake up a shortcake, shall we?
I used cake flour because that’s what I had. But I’m sure you can use all-purpose flour as well.
First I preheated the oven to 450 degrees (425 degrees for dark colored or glass pans) Then I greased a 9-inch round baking pan and sat it aside.
Making My Shortcake Batter
I sifted 2 cups of flour, 1 cup sugar, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg into a large bowl.
Then I cut in 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter until the mixture resembled coarse crumbs. So far, easy peasy!
In a separate bowl I beat an egg, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/3 cup of milk. Then I stirred it all into the flour mixture just until blended. The batter was really thick!
I spooned the batter into my prepared baking pan. Then I started smoothing it out with spatula. But in the end I just used my clean hands to press the batter into the pan.
Yep, that’s how we roll in our household!
Baking My Shortcake
Finally I baked my cake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes. It was golden in color and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake came out clean.
When it was finished baking I brought it out & placed the pan on the counter. I covered the pan with a clean tea towel so it would lightly steam and further soften the cake. (It’s the same procedure I use with my Homemade Sandwich Bread to ensure a softer crust.)
I cooled the cake in the covered pan for 10 minutes, then turned it onto a wire baking rack to cool completely.
It was a delicious part of our strawberry shortcake dessert. Heck I even topped it with homemade whipped cream that was sweetened with honey instead of powdered sugar. What a delightful, homemade treat…
Sure, I’ll share the recipe, y’all!
Quick, Homemade Shortcake recipe
I was in the mood for strawberry shortcake using fresh garden strawberries, but I didn't want to buy the shortcake. Luckily it was super easy to whip it up in no time. #TexasHomesteader
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
Preheat oven to 450 degrees (425 degrees for dark pan)
Grease a 9-inch baking pan
Sift 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg in a large bowl.
Cut in 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In a separate bowl, beat egg, vanilla and milk. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until blended. Spoon into prepared baking pan and smooth batter with spatula or clean hands. (note - batter will be thick)
Bake in preheated oven until the cake is golden and the center of cake comes clean with a toothpick (about 20 minutes for me.)
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan & place on a wire baking rack to cool completely
Other Easy Desserts
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- Quick Homemade Whipped Cream
- Easy Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Apple Crumble QUICK With Pie Filling
- Fast Dessert: Spiced Rum Fried Apples
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Healthier Sweet Potato Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate Pudding In A FLASH
- Banana Pudding – A Hug From The South
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Shortcake
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Easy Homemade Peach Ice Cream
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Homemade Honey Graham Crackers
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
- Sugar-Free Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- Rich & Creamy Hot Cocoa
- Chocolate-Covered Rice Krispie Treats
- No-Cook Chocolate Frosting
- Stir-n-Pour Drizzle Chocolate
- Easy Honey Glaze
- Homemade Whipped Cream (Sweetened With Honey)
- Cherry Pie Filling From Frozen Cherries
- Peach Pie Filling From Canned Peaches
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest,Twitter or Instagram
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!