by Texas Homesteader ~
Don’t resort to the powdered stuff sold in packets. Homemade hot cocoa is delicious & only uses cocoa, sugar & milk – flavored with vanilla & a few miniature marshmallows floating on top. So easy! (and there’s a secret flavoring ingredient that intensifies the chocolate taste. shhhhh….)
Grandma Knows How To Make EVERYTHING!
Recently our grandbabies came to stay with us for a couple of days. It was cold and dreary outside, so there was no playing outside for them.
Heck, now they think there’s nothing I can’t do! LOL!
So I can’t risk pulling out a packet of the powdered instant cocoa mix & losing my “Grandma knows how to make ANYTHING” badge, oh no! Luckily, homemade cocoa is quick & easy.
Homemade Cocoa Has Simple Ingredients
Homemade cocoa is delicious & only requires only 4 ingredients:
Optional: a handful of miniature marshmallows floating on top.
Believe me when I say it was a huge HIT with the grandkids!
Secret Chocolate-Intensifying Ingredient
I’ve enjoyed this recipe for a long time now, I originally found it on the Hershey‘s website. But I’ve tweaked it a bit to make it even richer.
You see, when I’m making something chocolate I always substitute cold coffee for at least some of the water in the recipe. It always seems to intensify the chocolate flavor to me.
In this case the amount of water is so small that I just substituted coffee for all the water.
If you don’t have cold coffee, you can just use water if you like. The result will still be delicious! Here’s how I made it:
Homemade Hot Cocoa: Make Concentrated Syrup
First I made a concentrated chocolate syrup in a saucepan:
This step will blend the cocoa & dissolve the sugar.
At first it seems like there’s no way there’s enough liquid to dissolve the sugar & cocoa, but stay with it. I promise it is!
I simply mixed it all in the pan, stirred it until it came to a boil. Then I simmered it while stirring for about 2 short minutes.
Homemade Hot Cocoa – Pour In Milk
After my syrup was made I poured in the milk, stirring with my whisk until it was hot.
You don’t want the milk to boil, just get it as hot as you’d like to drink it.
When the cocoa was as hot as I wanted, I removed it from the heat and stirred in a bit of vanilla extract.
Then I just ladled it into our mugs. Of course we added a hefty handful of miniature marshmallows too!
There ya go, rich, decadent hot cocoa – homemade in a flash! My grandchildren are still amazed that (in their eyes at least) grandma can make ANYTHING.
Superpower Status: Preserved!
Other Hot Drinks To Enjoy
While the grandchildren are sipping their homemade cocoa, you can enjoy cocoa with them or enjoy your own hot drink such as:
Here’s the homemade cocoa recipe as I make it:
Did you make this Hot Cocoa? Please rate the recipe in your comment below!
Hot Cocoa Recipe
This homemade rich, creamy hot chocolate recipe comes together quickly and is absolutely delicious. #TexasHomesteader
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- dash salt
- 1/3 cup cold coffee can substitute hot water if desired
- 4 cups milk Whole milk is creamier
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Stir together cocoa, sugar & salt in medium saucepan; stir in cold coffee (or water) & cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Simmer while stirring constantly for 2 minutes to fully dissolve the sugar.
Add milk, still stirring constantly. Heat cocoa to serving temperature - NOTE: Do not boil the milk!
When the cocoa is as hot as you want, remove it from heat. Stir in vanilla and ladle cocoa into mugs. Serve with miniature marshmallows if desired.
Other Easy Desserts
Cakes, Pies, Cobblers
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- Homemade Peach Cobbler
- Easy Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Mason-Jar Cheesecakes
- Homemade 3-Ingredient Graham Cracker Crust
- Apple Crumble QUICK With Pie Filling
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
- No-Bake Lemon Icebox Pie
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Chunky Apple Cinnamon Muffins Or Bread Loaf
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Fast Dessert: Spiced Rum Fried Apples
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Healthier Sweet Potato Chocolate Brownies
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
Ice Cream & Other Desserts
- Easy Homemade Peach Ice Cream
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- No-Cook Chocolate Frosting
- Stir-n-Pour Drizzle Chocolate
- Quick Homemade Whipped Cream
- Easy Honey Glaze
- Homemade Whipped Cream (Sweetened With Honey)
- Cherry Pie Filling From Frozen Cherries
- Peach Pie Filling From Canned Peaches
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!