by Texas Homesteader
Last fall I was blessed with several large boxes of apples from my aunt’s apple tree. I wanted to make sure they didn’t go to waste.
Now I get to enjoy the fruits of my labor (oh my, I said ‘Fruits” of my labor. See what I did there??)
My favorite thing to make with these preserved apples is apple crumble dessert using the apple slices in light syrup. It’s delicious and comes together quickly for a delicious dessert when company surprises you with a visit.
Bada-boom, bada-bing and dessert is being served! Looks and tastes like you toiled away in the kitchen for hours. (shhhh…)
First I pull out my ingredients: a pint of home-canned apples in syrup, all-purpose flour, quick-cooking oats (I usually blend about 1/2 quick cooking and 1/2 old fashioned oats), brown sugar, cloves, ground nutmeg (I often substitute cinnamon) a pinch of salt, vanilla extract, softened butter and chopped nuts. I prefer pecans since we have some amazing pecan trees right here on our property.
Now for the hard and complicated directions (because you know I love complicated recipes here at the Homestead) 😉
In a medium bowl mix the dry ingredients, cut in softened butter and put bowl aside. Drain the canned apples, reserving the syrup and pour drained apples in an approximately 6×6 casserole dish. Sprinkle 1/2 of the oat mixture over the apples and fold to coat.
Pour the reserved syrup over the apples and top with the remaining oat mixture. I like to dot the top of the crumble with small pats of butter. But that’s just my preference & not really part of the recipe.
Then I pop the casserole dish into a 350-degree oven for 30 – 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
No really, that’s it! Hey, if a recipe isn’t delicious, easy, quick AND adaptable it doesn’t hang around long in my kitchen. This one’s a keeper!
Perfection! And making this home-made dessert is good for the budget since it’s using home-canned apples and standard pantry ingredients.
If you’ve canned apples in syrup and you’re wondering what you can make that’s delicious and quick – give it a try.
* * * * * * * * * *
NOTE: For an even quicker dessert, you can make Crumble From actual Pie Filling. Whip it up in minutes!
Apple Crumble Dessert from Pint Jars Using Home-Canned Apples
You've canned those fresh apples, now here's a delicious recipe to use them in! This apple crumble comes together quickly using a pint of your home-canned apples in syrup.
- 1 Pint Home-Canned Apples in Syrup
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 3/8 t (pinch) Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Butter softened
- 1/2 Cup Coarsely Chopped Nuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup oats, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (or cinnamon), 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and pinch of salt. Mix to blend thoroughly. Cut in 3 Tablespoons softened butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in nuts, if using.
Drain apples, reserving juice. Place drained apples into approximately 6" x 6" baking dish. Mix about 1/2 of the topping into apples and pour the juice over the apples. Crumble balance of the topping over the apples to cover completely.
Bake @ 350 for 30 to 35 minutes until top is lightly browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Apple Pie Filling
- Cinnamon/Vanilla Applesauce
- Apple Cider
- Cinnamon/Sugar Apple Chips
- Fruit Leather Rollups
Other Delicious Apple Recipes
- Homemade Apple Pie
- Apple Pies Baked In Canning Jars
- Single-Serve Apple Hand Pies
- Apple Crumble from Apples in Syrup
- Baked Apple Pie Tortilla Roll
- Quick, Hot Apple Dessert
- Applesticks – Frozen Applesauce Sweet Treat
- Quick Spiced-Rum Fried Apples
- Chunky Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Other Easy Desserts
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- No-Cook Chocolate Frosting
- Stir-n-Pour Drizzle Chocolate
- Quick Homemade Whipped Cream
- Easy Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Apple Crumble QUICK With Pie Filling
- Fast Dessert: Spiced Rum Fried Apples
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Chocolate Pudding In A FLASH
- Banana Pudding – A Hug From The South
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Shortcake
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Homemade Honey Graham Crackers
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
- Sugar-Free Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- Rich & Creamy Hot Cocoa
- Chocolate-Covered Rice Krispie Treats
- …And MANY MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing!
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!