by Texas Homesteader ~
Recently I wrote about the benefit of planned leftovers. That’s the method of cooking when you purposely cook more of an item than you will eat at one time. Then bibbidy-bobbedy-boo presto-changeo remake the leftovers into brand new and delicious recipes.
Most recently I cooked a huge pork roast in not one, not two but THREE slow cookers. Yeah, that roast really was was that big! I planned to remake the leftovers into new dishes later in the week. I’ll be sure to share some of the fun recipes I made such as Carnitas Tacos, spicy Pulled-Pork Enchiladas and more. But today I’m sharing the quickest & most basic delicious leftover idea: a Hearty Stew!
Storing Leftover Roast
After I cooked that huge roast I sectioned the meat off into the quantities I wanted & packaged them for the freezer making sure to properly label the contents. I mean, everything looks exactly the same when it’s frozen rock solid & crammed in the freezer #amiright?
But after all that meat was sectioned off I kept just enough to make a hearty stew. I can whip it up in minutes using the various leftovers from our pork roast meal.
Assembling The Roast
I’d already poured that broth from the roast into a glass canning jar and allowed the fat to rise to the top the night before. So for the broth portion of today’s lunch I simply skimmed the fat away.
Then I chunked up the cooked carrots & potatoes that were leftover, chopped up the leftover cooked onion sections and poured in some of that leftover broth. Finally I stirred in the bits of leftover pork roast & heated up this hearty stew. It was already perfectly cooked & seasoned, I just needed to warm it up!
Making this stew is a delightful way to use up some leftovers from our pork roast in just minutes and enjoy some bone-warming nutrition as well.
Our Favorite Soups
- Endless Soup For A Weeks’ Worth Of Lunches
- List Of Our Favorite Soup Ideas
- MYO Cream Of Chicken Soup In A SNAP!
- Potato Soup – A Bone-Warming Meal On A Cold Day
- Planned Leftovers: Beef Stew w/Leftover Pot Roast
- Hot & Hearty Cabbage Stew
- Taco Soup: A Quick Meal For ‘Those Days’
- Lazy-Cooks Italian Soup
- Planned Leftovers: Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Easy Chicken Broth
- Faster, EASIER Homemade Broth In An Instant Pot
- (Pressure Canning Broth)
Leftover Pork Roast Meal Ideas
Pork Roast Recipes:
- Slow-Cooker Pork Roast w/Veggies
- Pork Roast w/Red Wine
- Italian-Flavored Pork Roast
- (Easily Shredding Pot Roast in Minutes)
- Instant Pot Roast and Gravy
Recipes with Leftover Pork Roast:
- Carnitas Tacos
- (MYO Crispy Taco Shells in Minutes)
- Pulled Pork Enchiladas
- Hearty Meaty Stew
- Pulled Pork BBQ
- (Homemade Honey-Sweetened BBQ Sauce)
Other Planned Leftover Posts
- Fast Food: Remaking Leftover Steak & Veggies
- Planned Leftovers: Easy Slow-Cooker Pork Roast
- How To Quickly Shred Leftover Roast
- Leftover Mashed Potatoes Into Potato Cakes
- Leftover Biscuit Dough? Make Cinnamon Rolls!
- Hearty Stew – Quickest Planned Leftover Meal Of All
- Pulled Pork Enchiladas From Leftover Roast
- Planned Leftovers: Carnitas Tacos From Pork Roast
- Leftover Meatloaf Made Into Quesadillas
- Leftover Chicken & Zucchini Noodles with Herb Bombs
- Chicken Tortilla Soup From Leftovers
- Chicken & Dumplings Using Leftover Chicken
- Using It ALL – The Art Of Eliminating Leftover Food
- Leftover Great Northern Beans Into HUMMUS
- Leftover Turkey & Dressing Into Patties
…and MUCH MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea – lots of good folks sharing! You can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
If you’d like to receive an email each time a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to
Subscribe to our blog!