by Texas Homesteader ~
While visiting with a friend recently she commented that she had been eating lots of cabbage stew lately. Cabbage soup? YUM.
This friend mentioned that cabbage stew was a healthy soup option on her Weight Watchers program. Although I’m not really looking to lose weight I’ve been wanting to try this soup for a while now. Especially during the cold winter months I like to enjoy hot soups & stews for lunch. I’ve started an endless soup regimen where I can enjoy ready-made hot lunches for about a week.
I still have lots of dehydrated cabbage in the pantry so I figured I’d incorporate cabbage stew as my soup of choice for the coming week.
Hot & Hearty Cabbage Stew
- 3 cups dehydrated cabbage
- 1 qt (4 cups) tomato sauce
- 1 qt (4 cups) broth
- 1 Tablespoon dehydrated celery
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated bell pepper
- 1.5 cups chopped red onion, about 4 small
- 1 cup fresh carrots, cut into chunks
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mexican flavored - season with cumin & chili powder
- Italian flavored - season with basil & oregano
First Rehydrate veggies & cook the raw ingredients at the same time by pouring broth into large soup pot, adding vegetables & bringing to a boil.
Then cover the soup pot & simmer gently for about 15-20 minutes.
Remove lid & test vegetables to see if they are done. If so, pour in tomato sauce and season to taste.
Serve soup hot.
My favorite serving option: Season with chili powder & cumin, ladle into bowls and top with sharp cheddar and sliced jalapenos
Our Favorite Soups
- Endless Soup For A Weeks’ Worth Of Lunches
- MYO Cream Of Chicken Soup In A SNAP!
- Potato Soup – A Bone-Warming Meal On A Cold Day
- Planned Leftovers: Beef Stew w/Leftover Pot Roast
- Hot & Hearty Cabbage Stew
- Taco Soup: A Quick Meal For ‘Those Days’
- Lazy-Cooks Italian Soup
- Planned Leftovers: Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Easy Chicken Broth
- (Pressure Canning Broth)
Other Dehydrating Posts
- Preserving The Harvest: Dehydrating Fresh Carrots
- Dehydrating Fresh Pumpkin For Easy Storage
- Dehydrating Spinach To Enjoy All Year Long
- Using A Dehydrator To Preserve Fresh Onions
- Dehydrating & Storing Cabbage
- Bell Pepper Dehydration
- Using A Solar Oven To Dehydrate Garden Produce
- How To Make Dehydrated Blueberry Powder
- Dehydrating Plums
Want to see other Meal Ideas?
- Poor Man’s Stuffed Steak (hamburger)
- Award-Winning Cowboy Chili
- Slow-Cooker Spicy Sticky Chicken
- Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Lasagne Cooked In Its Shell
- Savory Meatloaf
- Lazy Cook’s Chile Relleno
- Hot & Hearty Cabbage Stew
- Homemade Chicken & Dumplings
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Slow Cooker Enchilada Casserole
- Meat-Stuffed Ravioli
- Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Homemade Pasta – Only 3 Ingredients!
- Southwest Chicken w/Seasoned Brown Rice
Pork Roast Recipes:
- Slow-Cooker Pork Roast w/Veggies
- Instant Pot Pork Roast
- Pork Roast w/Red Wine
- Italian-Flavored Pork Roast
- Pecan-Smoked Meat For BBQ
- (Easily Shredding Pot Roast in Minutes)
Recipes Using Leftover Roast:
- Carnitas Tacos
- (MYO Crispy Taco Shells in Minutes)
- Pulled Pork Enchiladas
- Hearty Meaty Stew
- Pulled Pork BBQ
- (Homemade Honey-Sweetened BBQ Sauce)
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing!
To receive an email when a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to
Subscribe to our blog!