by Texas Homesteader~
I often make dried beans using my pressure cooker. I’m a ‘Cook-Once, Eat-Twice‘ cook, meaning I like to cook lots of one item and use it either again later in the week, or as a completely different dish as part of my Planned Leftovers meals.
So when I’m cooking dried beans, I usually cook the whole bag, even knowing it’s way more than RancherMan & I can eat in one setting. Then we’ll either consume it over several days or I’ll freeze the remainder for another time.
But recently I cooked some great northern beans and we enjoyed them as a side dish for that evening’s meal. I served them later in the week as a quick side dish also. But then I wondered… Is there a more exciting way to serve these beans that will have RancherMan smacking his lips? Well yes, yes there is! Check out this Homestead Hack!
So there I was, staring at those leftover beans. Kinda boring, especially as leftovers.
Then I thought, “Hey, although they”re not garbanzos, they’re still white beans. Maybe I can use them and my Homemade Hummus spices to make hummus out of them!”
So I gave it a try. I brought out my trusty *Ninja Blender, added a few spices and whipped it into smooth deliciousness in no time at all!
RancherMan went from being willing to eat those leftover beans because he hates food waste as much as I do, to being actually excited about the leftovers. He loves to slather the hummus onto a warmed tortilla for a quick snack. Those leftover beans were gone in a flash!
So now when I make great northern beans we’ll go ahead & enjoy them as a side dish that night. Maybe even reuse them as a side another night too. But then I’ll bring out my blender, add my spices and make them into leftovers that are fun to eat! There’s never (EVER) leftover hummus in our Household.
Links In This Post
- Cook-Once, Eat-Twice Cooking
- Planned Leftovers: Carnitas Tacos From Leftover Roast
- Stupid-Easy Homemade Hummus in Minutes
- *Ninja 400-Watt Blender
Other Planned Leftover Posts
- Planned Leftovers: Easy Slow-Cooker Pork Roast
- How To Quickly Shred Leftover Roast
- Fast Food: Remaking Leftover Steak & Veggies
- Leftover Mashed Potatoes Into Potato Cakes
- Leftover Biscuit Dough? Make Cinnamon Rolls!
- Hearty Stew – Quickest Planned Leftover Meal Of All
- Pulled Pork Enchiladas From Leftover Roast
- Planned Leftovers: Carnitas Tacos From Pork Roast
- Leftover Meatloaf Made Into Quesadillas
- Leftover Chicken & Zucchini Noodles with Herb Bombs
- Chicken Tortilla Soup From Leftovers
- Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Made Easy
- Chicken & Dumplings Using Leftover Chicken
- Using It ALL – The Art Of Eliminating Leftover Food
- Leftover Navy Beans Into Delicious HUMMUS!
- Leftover Turkey & Dressing Into Patties
…and MUCH MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter & Instagram
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!