by Texas Homesteader ~
*contains affiliate link
With all the competition during the holidays to grab the attention of your Christmas gift recipients you’ve got to wonder, can you really give more environmentally-friendly gifts that they’ll actually love?
As it turns out, yes.
(Note: Some links in this post will take you to other related articles for further information. But links preceded with * are affiliate links. If you click and buy something I could receive a tiny commission.)
I’m very environmentally aware in almost everything I do.
Now I don’t expect everyone to see things the way I do. We’re all different & that’s a wonderful thing! But being very environmentally aware is just part of who I am.
For me, if at all possible I’d love to give gifts with a lighter footprint. Gifts that hold true to my values. But gifts that they’ll love!
Here are my favorite eco-friendly gift suggestions:
What about giving “experience” gifts? RancherMan & I decided to give experience gifts to our grandkids each year. There were lots of options and we had so much fun planning.
Of course there are many experience-gift options such as taking them to museums, exhibits or maybe lunch and a movie with an ice cream treat afterwards.
Our Experience Gifts to our grandchildren have included:
We really loved taking them to the Ft. Worth Stock Show & Rodeo. Aside from the stock show events they have a midway, petting zoo and lots fun things for kids to do.
These memories will far outlast any toy we could have purchased for them. If you’d like you can see the list of all our Experience Gifts we’ve given them so far.
Homemade Edible Christmas Gifts
We’ve been presenting homemade Christmas gifts to our family & friends for several years.
I’ve written about our homemade gifts from years gone by – both food themed as well as projects.
We’ve given lots of homemade edible gifts they’ve loved:
In my opinion homemade gifts of food are priceless because they’re presented with something that costs the gift-giver their time – true gifts of love.
Those gifts have always been made with love and have been well received by our friends & family.
Low-Waste Hygiene Environmentally-Friendly Gifts
I’ve used a low-waste Gillette safety razor for years. So I was GIDDY when RancherMan asked for a real honest-to-goodness safety razor for Christmas!
No more plastic disposable razors in our household, can you hear the choirs singing?? This will be a favored of all environmentally-friendly gifts for him.
I got him a vintage nickel-plated Gillette SuperSpeed beauty from the 1960’s and it’s as clean as a whistle. (He asked for a vintage razor but you can buy new *safety razors very inexpensively too)
Low-Waste Razor Blades
As if that wasn’t enough to get excited about, he ALSO asked for this box of *double-edged blades to go with it.
Why buy this box of 100 razor blades when you can buy a little plastic box of five safety-razor blades at Dollar General for a buck??
Well these blades are paper wrapped and come in a cardboard box – no plastic at all!
They were very inexpensive and 100 blades will last quite a long time for both of us. My little crunchy-green heart is just singing!!
But what if your loved one lives far away? Magazine subscriptions are a fun way to give a gift over & over throughout the year. And you can even receive them electronically now.
One of my favorite publications is Mother Earth Magazine. It’s chock full of hints & tips for DIY, MIY, self-sufficiency. And every now & then you might actually see an article published in this magazine from MOI! 🙂
There are endless options – children’s magazines, specific hobby themed magazines and more. Something for everyone!
So there is a quick list of fun yet environmentally-friendly gifts. Delightful to give OR receive!
What about you – what are your favorite gifts to give & get?
Other Christmas Posts You Might Like:
- Is It ‘Merry Christmas’ or ‘Happy Holidays’?
- How Will I Be Able To ‘Provide’ Christmas This Year?
- Holiday Cooking Shortcuts, Tips & Recipes
- A Small Christmas Tree Can Be BEAUTIFUL!
- Keeping The JOY In The Christmas Season
- Want To Keep Christ In Christmas?
- Thinking Of Adding A Pup To Your Home This Christmas?
- The Truth Behind Perfect Facebook Posts
- Don’t Judge The Need Of Others
- Homemade Gifts We’ve Given
- Gift Ideas For Mom
- Gift Ideas For Dad
- Must-Haves For Any Home Cook
- Easy Last-Minute Gifts For A Group
- Christmas Gift-Idea Roundup
- Repurposed Denim Hand Warmers
- 8 Eco-Friendly Gifts Your Friends Will LOVE!
- Low-Waste Christmas Gifts We’ve Received
- Cute Santa Sleigh Made With Candy
- MYO Snowman Treat Jar Gift
- Keeping Track Of Gift-Card Balances
- Experience Gift Ideas
- Easy Homemade Jerky
- Candy Snowman With Gloves (optional CASH!)
Eco-Friendly Gift Ideas:
- Gift Ideas For The Eco-Friendly Mom
- Homemade Gift Ideas
- Homemade Chai Tea Mix
- Gardener’s Hand Scrub
- 3-Ingredient Beeswax Lip Balm
- Repurposed Denim Pocket-Sized Hand Warmers
- Rustic Repurposed-Denim Baskets
- Cedar Solar-Light Garden Feature
- Rustic Bois d’Arc Solar Light
- Photo Wall Hanging Using Reclaimed Barn Wood
- Making A Small Gift Box With A Greeting Card
- Make a Customized Label With Plain Ole Shipping Tape
- 8 Environmentally Friendly Gifts For Your Friends
- Low-Waste Gifts We’ve Rec’d & Loved
Low-Waste Gift Wrapping & Presentation
- Reusable Gift Wrap Ideas
- Low-Waste Gift Baskets
- Make A Cute Gift Box Using A Christmas Card!
- No Wrapping Needed: Experience Gifts!
- Fastest Zero-Waste Gift Wrapping – Using Cloth
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest, Instagram & Twitter
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~