by Texas Homesteader ~
*contains affiliate link
This natural lip balm is made in minutes using beeswax to soothe & protect your lips. It really couldn’t be easier – only 3 ingredients! I can tint it with a bit of lipstick. Check it out, y’all.
NOTE: I have affiliate links on this blog! This means if you click on one and make a purchase, I could earn a small commission. This does not affect the price of your purchase, but it is a wonderful way to support this blog. THANK YOU! You can read my full disclosure statement here
Using Natural Beeswax From The Hive
RancherMan & I wanted to begin raising bees for many reasons: to help the declining honeybee population, to aid in our vegetable garden pollination and of course – HONEY!
We harvested a couple of frames of honey last fall so I could FINALLY have raw honey which contained ragweed pollen. I’m hoping consuming that raw unfiltered honey will help with my fall allergies.
But there’s another beehive product that’s been very helpful – all-natural beeswax. I purified the wax and decided to use some of it to make beeswax lip balm for myself as well as part of our homemade Christmas Gifts.
I’d already melted purified and hardened that beeswax last fall when it was harvested. Now I pulled one of those bars out and grated it into a small supply of beeswax for my lip balm project.
(Note: When I have extra beeswax I’ll often sell it on my Online Store. Anything purchased from our online store helps support this blog. So thank you!
Making Natural Beeswax Lip Balm
RancherMan & I got into the kitchen & started assembling our simple lip balm ingredients: grated beeswax, organic coconut oil & vitamin E tablets along with a glass measuring cup & a metal skewer to stir with.
And we also brought out a supply of small plastic containers to hold our lip balm. (ours were purchased at a craft store but you can get these *cosmetic containers on Amazon & they’ll ship ’em right to your door!)
We wanted to start small. So to fill about 3 of these small pots we measured out 1 teaspoon grated beeswax and 2 teaspoons coconut oil. We added the oil of 1 vitamin E tablet by piercing the end with a pin & squeezing the oil into the measuring cup.
Then we placed the measuring cup with the ingredients into the microwave for 30 seconds. After that time we brought it out of the microwave & gave everything a stir to blend it all together. Then another 30-second stint to finish melting the ingredients.
If there were any pieces of unmelted wax or oil we gave it another stint in the microwave for just 10 seconds at a time, stirring well afterward each time.
You don’t want to overheat your lip balm, you’re just heating the mixture long enough to gently melt everything together.
Then we poured the melted mixture into our small lidded pots and sat them aside to cool.
For tinted and colored lip balm
When I’m making this lip balm for myself I tint it with a tiny amount of my favorite color lipstick stirred into the melted wax ingredients. Then I pour it all into a small repurposed mint tin. It’s a no-waste way to keep my lips soft!
But since we were making these lip balms as part of our Homemade Christmas Gifts we wanted a subtle pink color and maybe a little fruit flavor for our grandbabies. Hummm…
To accomplish this we ended up adding small amounts of unsweetened cherry-flavored drink mix into the other ingredients for color and flavor, before stirring & melting.
Not much now! We ended up using only about 1/8 teaspoon of cherry drink mix for just over 7 pots. Although more drink mix would result in a brighter red color & more cherry flavor, since it’s unsweetened it can get tart quickly if you use too much.
We ended up with a lightly flavored & nicely colored lip balm that worked out about right for us.
To present our gifts we printed up a label and cut the edges with decorative scissors for a pretty presentation.
I love the smooth, natural feel of this beeswax lip balm and they were very well received gifts too.
Anyhoo… if you’re trying to stick with more natural ingredients for your lips, here’s an super-quick & very easy recipe for homemade natural beeswax lip balm in minutes!
Remember there’s coconut oil included in this lip balm. And coconut oil melts at 76 degrees. So it’s best not to store these lip balms in your coat pockets. Even though they’d probably be fine during the winter months, it could make for an oily mess if it melted in the warmer temps while your coats were in the coat closet in the summer months!
It’s best to store these tubs of lip balm in a drawer to assure there’s not a melty mess later.
Beeswax lip balm
- 2 parts coconut oil
- 1 part beeswax
- Vitamin E tablet
for 3 small pots:
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon beeswax
- 1 vitamin E tablet contents (prick bottom & squeeze oil out, discard casing)
With a pin, prick the bottom of a vitamin E tablet and squeeze the contents into a glass measuring cup. Discard the vitamin casing. To the measuring cup add 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and 1 teaspoon grated beeswax.
Microwave the contents 30 seconds & stir. Microwave again 30 seconds & stir. If any solids remain, microwave in 10-second increments stirring after each time. Do not overheat.
Pour into small lidded pots and leave lids off until contents have completely cooled (about an hour depending upon the size of your pots).
Links In This Post
- How To Purify Beeswax From The Hive
- Texas Homesteader’s Online Store
- *Small 3-gram Cosmetic Containers
- Homemade Christmas Gift Ideas
Other Christmas Posts You Might Like:
- ‘Merry Christmas’ or ‘Happy Holidays’?
- How Will I Be Able To ‘Provide’ Christmas This Year?
- Holiday Cooking Shortcuts, Tips & Recipes
- A Small Christmas Tree Can Be BEAUTIFUL!
- Keeping The JOY In The Christmas Season
- Want To Keep Christ In Christmas?
- Thinking Of Adding A Pup To Your Home This Christmas?
- The Truth Behind Perfect Facebook Posts
- Don’t Judge The Need Of Others
- Homemade Gifts We’ve Given
- Gift Ideas For Mom
- Gift Ideas For Dad
- Must-Haves For Any Home Cook
- Christmas Gift-Idea Roundup
- Repurposed Denim Hand Warmers
- 8 Eco-Friendly Gifts Your Friends Will LOVE!
- Low-Waste Christmas Gifts We’ve Received
- Cute Santa Sleigh Made With Candy
- MYO Snowman Treat Jar Gift
- Keeping Track Of Gift-Card Balances
- Experience Gift Ideas
- Easy Homemade Jerky
- Candy Snowman With Gloves (optional CASH!)
Eco-Friendly Gift Ideas:
- Gift Ideas For The Eco-Friendly Mom
- Homemade Gift Ideas
- Homemade Chai Tea Mix
- Gardener’s Hand Scrub
- 3-Ingredient Beeswax Lip Balm
- Repurposed Denim Pocket-Sized Hand Warmers
- Rustic Repurposed-Denim Baskets
- Cedar Solar-Light Garden Feature
- Rustic Bois d’Arc Solar Light
- Photo Wall Hanging Using Reclaimed Barn Wood
- Making A Small Gift Box With A Greeting Card
- Make a Customized Label With Plain Ole Shipping Tape
- 8 Environmentally Friendly Gifts For Your Friends
- Low-Waste Gifts We’ve Rec’d & Loved
- Environmentally-Friendly Gifts Can Be Fun
Low-Waste Gift Wrapping & Presentation
- Reusable Gift Wrap Ideas
- Low-Waste Gift Baskets
- Make A Cute Gift Box Using A Christmas Card!
- No Wrapping Needed: Experience Gifts!
- Fastest Zero-Wast Gift Wrapping – Using Cloth
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest, Instagram & Twitter
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!