by Texas Homesteader ~
Whaaaa….?? Is it already time to start thinking about Christmas??? Well it is if you plan on giving homemade gifts this year – you’ll need a running start so give yourself plenty of time.
I’ve written many times about our Christmas traditions here on the ranch. RancherMan & I try to make our gifts homemade and we’re almost always successful in giving our family & friends great gifts from the heart.
Of course there are times when gifts must be purchased instead but even then we try to make sure the gifts we give are gentle to the earth.
Looking for ideas? Well you’ve come to the right place! Today I’m sharing a roundup of my Christmas Ideas posts. Grab some coffee & come stay a spell…
First things first. To make sure you enjoy the season to the fullest you need to review how you feel about the way you typically spend the holidays.
Are they fun and meaningful and viewed with anticipation or do you find yourself stressed and anxious each & every year?
If it’s not all you wish it could be, maybe it’s time to make a change.
How Will I Provide Christmas?
Sadly some families who are barely making ends meet are also struggling with how they will “provide” Christmas for their loved ones.
If that sounds like you, it’s time to step back and take a look at your perceived obligations, and exactly what it means to “Provide Christmas”.
Scale Down The Decorations
Do you silently groan at the thought of elaborate decorations during the holidays? We did too.
Oh we love Christmas and all the sparkly fun of it, but years ago we decided to scale it down a notch or two and we couldn’t be happier with this new balance.
If you’re looking for a way to relax the hubbub a bit, don’t be afraid to bring rethink the extensive decorating of the holidays past and try smaller scaled-down Decorations this year.
Homemade Gifts From The Heart
And how about homemade gifts? Several years ago we adopted a homemade gift policy and RancherMan & I try to make all our gifts ourselves.
Yes it takes more time, but we feel like we’re living our values by providing fun or beautiful, meaningful gifts directly from our hearts and hands. And that’s a gift that can’t be purchased at any price.
If you’re not sure where to start, check out the Homemade Christmas Gifts we’ve given in the past.
(Note, if you’d like to give handmade gift items but don’t have time to to make them yourself, I often several of our handmade items in my e-Bay Store.
It’s a great way to support this blog. Thank you!
Low-Waste Gift Basket Decorations
One of our favorite homemade gifts to present to our children are baskets of homemade goodies we’ve tackled throughout the year.
Bonus points are scored for low-waste ideas we think about each year to present those Homemade Gift Baskets!
Environmentally-Friendly Gift Ideas
Sometimes even though you desire to make all your gifts yourself, it just won’t work for everyone on your gift list.
Low-Waste Gift Wrapping Options
Speaking of reducing holiday waste – I’ve always been very disturbed about the massive amount of waste that surrounded gift giving during the holidays.
It seemed like there were ten minutes of frenzied unwrapping and then the room was piled high with trash – wrapping paper, bows, tags, etc.
So several years ago I incorporated a low-waste gift wrapping policy. No piles of trash headed to the landfill after Christmas gift unwrapping.
Looking for ideas? Check out my Low-Waste Reusable Christmas Wrapping Ideas.
Remember It’s Not Always As It Appears
Christmas should be a fun and meaningful holiday. For RancherMan & me it’s one filled with celebrating the birth of our savior and spending quality time with family & loved ones.
But many people start to feel inadequate when reading about Martha-Stewart styled Christmases & begin to compare their normal everyday life to the sparkly perfection they’re reading about from their friends’ posts.
Please, please, PLEASE don’t mistake the Shiny Perfection you’re seeing on Social Media with the whole story of that person’s life. They have their messy times just like you do. Trust me on this.
In the end, how you choose to spend your holiday is up to you. What works for some families won’t work well for another.
So take charge and plan the holiday that YOU want it to be!
Other Christmas Posts You Might Like:
- ‘Merry Christmas’ or ‘Happy Holidays’?
- How Will I Be Able To ‘Provide’ Christmas This Year?
- Holiday Cooking Shortcuts, Tips & Recipes
- A Small Christmas Tree Can Be BEAUTIFUL!
- Keeping The JOY In The Christmas Season
- Want To Keep Christ In Christmas?
- Thinking Of Adding A Pup To Your Home This Christmas?
- The Truth Behind Perfect Facebook Posts
- Don’t Judge The Need Of Others
- Homemade Gifts We’ve Given
- Gift Ideas For Mom
- Gift Ideas For Dad
- Must-Haves For Any Home Cook
- Christmas Gift-Idea Roundup
- Repurposed Denim Hand Warmers
- 8 Eco-Friendly Gifts Your Friends Will LOVE!
- Low-Waste Christmas Gifts We’ve Received
- Cute Santa Sleigh Made With Candy
- Keeping Track Of Gift-Card Balances
- Experience Gift Ideas
Eco-Friendly Gift Ideas:
- Gift Ideas For The Eco-Friendly Mom
- Homemade Gift Ideas
- Homemade Chai Tea Mix
- Gardener’s Hand Scrub
- 3-Ingredient Beeswax Lip Balm
- Repurposed Denim Pocket-Sized Hand Warmers
- Rustic Repurposed-Denim Baskets
- Cedar Solar-Light Garden Feature
- Rustic Bois d’Arc Solar Light
- Photo Wall Hanging Using Reclaimed Barn Wood
- Making A Small Gift Box With A Greeting Card
- Make a Customized Label With Plain Ole Shipping Tape
- 8 Environmentally Friendly Gifts For Your Friends
- Low-Waste Gifts We’ve Rec’d & Loved
- Environmentally-Friendly Gifts Can Be Fun
Low-Waste Gift Wrapping & Presentation
- Reusable Gift Wrap Ideas
- Low-Waste Gift Baskets
- Make A Cute Gift Box Using A Christmas Card!
- No Wrapping Needed: Experience Gifts!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest, Instagram & Twitter
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!