~by Texas Homesteader ~
As is our tradition, RancherMan & I are making many of our Christmas gifts ourselves. This year we’ve been busy making several different kinds of gifts. I’ve also been experimenting with making extracts – it’s all been so much fun!
I thought homemade mint extract might make great gifts, but if I was going to give them as gifts I needed to purchase small jars to hold them. But it just seems… I don’t know – not quite right to go to the craft store & buy small bottles. Thankfully I’ve found an alternative that works beautifully – check out today’s Homestead Hack.
When contemplating these small jars, my thoughts turned to another time recently when we were looking for spray bottles and decided that for the same price (or LESS) we could purchase heavy duty spray bottles that were already filled with product. Win/Win! So of course I thought I’d give it a try to fill this need as well.
Purchasing Items Sold In Small Jars
RancherMan & I went to the Dollar Store and looked in the food section for something that was sold in small glass jars. We found these tiny jars of salad garlic and decided they would work quite nicely.
Even though these garlic cloves were very subtly flavored I was concerned about tale-tell aromas sticking around when the bottles were empty. So I first scrubbed the empty jars with hot soapy water and baking soda, then I ran them through a dishwasher cycle.
When they came out of the dishwasher I allowed them to thoroughly air dry for a couple of days. They ended up crystal clear and odor free, so I know they’ll work perfectly for our gifts! I’ll fill them with our extract, print out a cute label and wrap it festively and they will make super-cute gifts from our hearts.
Other Christmas Posts You Might Like:
- ‘Merry Christmas’ or ‘Happy Holidays’?
- How Will I Be Able To ‘Provide’ Christmas This Year?
- A Small Christmas Tree Can Be BEAUTIFUL!
- Keeping The JOY In The Christmas Season
- Want To Keep Christ In Christmas?
- The Truth Behind Perfect Facebook Posts
- Don’t Judge The Need Of Others
- Homemade Gifts We’ve Given
- Gift Ideas For Mom
- Gift Ideas For Dad
- Must-Haves For Any Home Cook
- Christmas Gift-Idea Roundup
- Repurposed Denim Hand Warmers
- 8 Eco-Friendly Gifts Your Friends Will LOVE!
- Low-Waste Christmas Gifts We’ve Received
- Cute Santa Sleigh Made With Candy
- Thinking Of Adding A Pup To Your Home This Christmas?
Eco-Friendly Gift Ideas:
- Gift Ideas For The Eco-Friendly Mom
- Homemade Gift Ideas
- Homemade Chai Tea Mix
- Gardener’s Hand Scrub
- 3-Ingredient Beeswax Lip Balm
- Repurposed Denim Pocket-Sized Hand Warmers
- Rustic Repurposed-Denim Baskets
- Cedar Solar-Light Garden Feature
- Rustic Bois d’Arc Solar Light
- Photo Wall Hanging Using Reclaimed Barn Wood
- Making A Small Gift Box With A Greeting Card
- Make a Customized Label With Plain Ole Shipping Tape
- 8 Environmentally Friendly Gifts For Your Friends
- Low-Waste Gifts We’ve Rec’d & Loved
- Environmentally-Friendly Gifts Can Be Fun
Low-Waste Gift Wrapping & Presentation
- Low-Waste Gift Wrapping Ideas
- Reusable Gift Wrap Ideas
- Low-Waste Gift Baskets
- Make A Cute Gift Box Using A Christmas Card!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest, Instagram & Twitter
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!
If you want to give handmade items this year but just don’t have time to make them yourself, I’d be honored if you’d check out our Online Store. It’s a great way to support this blog. Thank you!