by Texas Homesteader ~
OK, I’ve just gotta ask. Is it just me or does it seem holiday commercialism has really gotten out of control?
I mean, when you think back to past Christmases don’t you think about the days when children’s eyes lit up over the magic of it all? And the excitement of opening a gift that held that cherished doll or a new baseball glove?
It seems now it’s more represented by expectations of a higher and higher stack of gifts each year. And incredibly expensive & elaborate gifts & electronics even for very young children.
And did I REALLY just see a commercial where a small girl sitting on Santa’s knee was demanding a new car for her busy lifestyle??
Now I’m not saying that gifts aren’t fun – they are. It’s wonderful to be able to give that perfect gift. And Christmas is a beautiful season of sharing.
But when did it turn from the simpler times of the past to “what’s in it for me” and frenzied attempts at Martha Stewart-caliber holiday decorations? It’s all just gotten so crazy.
Christmas Doesn’t Come From A Store
It hurts my heart to think there are so many people out there who don’t see this beautiful holiday as a joy, but as a highly-stressful time when expectations & time demands grow more & more unattainable each year.
And all across America there are many families with very little income who are barely putting food on their tables, yet stressing over not being able to ‘provide Christmas’ for their families.
It’s almost as if many assume that Christmas itself comes from a store.
Again, gifts are fun and there’s nothing wrong with enjoying that aspect of the holiday. What I have a problem with is that such a beautiful season of sharing and caring can be so heavily marred by the $ almighty buck $.
For me as a Christian, the Christmas season is special to me primarily for the joy I feel over the birth of my savior Jesus Christ.
It’s also a time RancherMan & I feel compelled to gather and surround ourselves with one of our most precious blessings on earth – our family.
Our Own Simplified Christmas
I’ve been trying to pull back from the hustle & bustle of an overly-commercial Christmas for quite a few years now.
But I’m not going to lie, it was an uncomfortable move for me. We were hoping not to disappoint our loved ones with our shift back. But to us it was important enough to soldier through.
RancherMan & I now make almost all of our gifts ourselves. And the gifts we do buy are very modestly priced. (yes, even for our precious grandbabies!)
It’s taken deliberate action to push away the commercialism of the holiday and return the joy of Christmas to our home.
RancherMan & I enjoy decorating for the holidays but the decorations are simple yet tasteful. Our tree is tiny but sentimental. Our gifts are inexpensive but straight from the heart.
Are you worried about how to provide Christmas?
Think about your holiday – what’s special for you about Christmas?
Has it become different from the joyous Christmases past?
If you could, what would you change to realign the holiday with your values?
It’s time to return this beautiful holiday to its proper joyful place.
Other Christmas Posts You Might Like:
- ‘Merry Christmas’ or ‘Happy Holidays’?
- How Will I Be Able To ‘Provide’ Christmas This Year?
- Holiday Cooking Shortcuts, Tips & Recipes
- A Small Christmas Tree Can Be BEAUTIFUL!
- Keeping The JOY In The Christmas Season
- Want To Keep Christ In Christmas?
- Thinking Of Adding A Pup To Your Home This Christmas?
- The Truth Behind Perfect Facebook Posts
- Don’t Judge The Need Of Others
- Homemade Gifts We’ve Given
- Gift Ideas For Mom
- Gift Ideas For Dad
- Must-Haves For Any Home Cook
- Christmas Gift-Idea Roundup
- Repurposed Denim Hand Warmers
- 8 Eco-Friendly Gifts Your Friends Will LOVE!
- Low-Waste Christmas Gifts We’ve Received
- Cute Santa Sleigh Made With Candy
- Keeping Track Of Gift-Card Balances
- Experience Gift Ideas
Eco-Friendly Gift Ideas:
- Gift Ideas For The Eco-Friendly Mom
- Homemade Gift Ideas
- Homemade Chai Tea Mix
- Gardener’s Hand Scrub
- 3-Ingredient Beeswax Lip Balm
- Repurposed Denim Pocket-Sized Hand Warmers
- Rustic Repurposed-Denim Baskets
- Cedar Solar-Light Garden Feature
- Rustic Bois d’Arc Solar Light
- Photo Wall Hanging Using Reclaimed Barn Wood
- Making A Small Gift Box With A Greeting Card
- Make a Customized Label With Plain Ole Shipping Tape
- 8 Environmentally Friendly Gifts For Your Friends
- Low-Waste Gifts We’ve Rec’d & Loved
- Environmentally-Friendly Gifts Can Be Fun
Low-Waste Gift Wrapping & Presentation
- Reusable Gift Wrap Ideas
- Low-Waste Gift Baskets
- Make A Cute Gift Box Using A Christmas Card!
- No Wrapping Needed: Experience Gifts!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest, Instagram & Twitter
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!