by Texas Homesteader ~
Is your kitchen utensil drawer packed full? Is it difficult to find the utensil you’re looking for? Mine was too.
But decluttering the kitchen utensil drawer is the easiest and quickest decluttering task you can imagine! This simple step has improved the efficiency in my kitchen megafold. Come see what I do.
Decluttering Goals For Your Kitchen
Many times part of your New-Year’s Goals is to declutter areas of your home. I know many various decluttering tasks are certainly sprinkled liberally in my monthly New Year’s Goals!
One area that has been sorely needful of decluttering is my utensil drawer.
So when RancherMan & I were unloading the dishwasher one day he half-teasingly mentioned the state of the utensil drawer. I knew something had to give!
Quick & Easy Utensil Decluttering Step
Now out of financial necessity and environmental sensitivity, I’m in my kitchen cooking from scratch daily. So that much home cooking necessitates the right tools to get the job done.
(Plus let’s be honest, I’m a kitchen-utensil junkie. eh hemmmmm!)
Here’s what I did: First I took the entire contents of my utensil drawer and dumped it on the counter.
I sorted out the non-negotiable tools that I use all the time or that once belonged to my grandmother. There are actually only a few of those items:
Non-scratch spatula (for my stainless-steel pans)
My grandmother’s antique wire whip
Vintage heavy-duty potato masher
Heavy stainless whisk
A few wooden utensils
Much of what was left was either a duplicate of something I had or something that was used pretty sparingly.
I dumped all of those utensils in a box and placed the box in an adjoining room.
That way if I found I needed something after all, it was right there for me to fetch it. I had to be brutal with the culling though.
Be Strong When Decluttering Items!
It was important to remove thoughts of ‘maybe someday I’ll need this‘ or ‘this utensil is too good to give away‘ when dumping utensils into the box.
But I find that’s always the case when decluttering whether the closet, your office or the kitchen. Be strong!
Now after 30 days I bundle up anything left in that box and send it off to Goodwill or perhaps offer it to someone just starting out in their own home.
Simplified Utensil Drawer
In the meantime my utensil drawer is less crowded and it’s so easy for me to find the utensil I’m looking for quickly.
Things no longer get snagged on other utensils when I’m trying to fetch them. The drawer no longer snags as I’m trying to open or close it. (ugh)
This has improved the efficiency in my kitchen mega fold!
It’s like a Snow White fairytale, as I glide around the kitchen whistling a happy tune.
Too much? OK, well at least it does get me in and out of the kitchen quicker!
I must say this has been by far my easiest decluttering move this year. And you can do it too.
Dump utensils in a box and if it doesn’t get used in 30 days, donate everything left in the box.
Give it a try!
Other Kitchen Hacks
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Easy Reminder For Kitchen Stove
- Make Your Slow Cooker More Efficient
- No Cooking Fat Down The Drain
- Labeling A Glass Jar
- Cleaning A Narrow-Neck Jar
- Keep That Broccoli Fresh
- Sneaking Healthy Vegetables Into Their Diet
- Don’t Waste Onion Trimmings
- What Do The Dates On Food Packages Actually Mean?
- Heat-Free Way to Peel Tomatoes
- Peel A Whole Head Of Garlic Cloves In Seconds
- Cleaner Vegetable Chopping
- Quick Baking Measurement Reminder System
- Easily Separating Cream From Milk
- Using Frozen Water Bottles In The Kitchen
- Don’t Waste It – Free Vegetable Broth
- Easier Deviled Eggs – No Mess!
- MYO Crispy Taco Shells CHEAP
- Tame Kitchen Appliance Cords
- Save Your Fingernails When Cleaning
- Expand Your Muffin Tin Capacity With Canning-Jar Rings
- Use ALL Of Your Spray Cleaner
- Quick Coffee Stain Cleaning
- Repurposing Mesh Bags For Scrubbers
- Cute Windowsill Container For Herb Cuttings
- Less Mess When Measuring Honey
- How To Tell If Your Baking Powder Is Still Good
- Easily Opening Those Stubborn Jars
- Instant Pot Boiled Eggs WITHOUT The Shells
- Saute & Freeze Onions For Kitchen Convenience
- Roasting Peppers Quickly On Gas Stove Top
- …and many MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing!
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!