by Texas Homesteader ~
I’ve always tried to make sure my family ate a well-balanced diet. Of course I don’t feel there’s anything wrong with eating some less-healthy foods… as long as it’s in moderation.
Fried foods, sweets, salty snacks – all were ok as long as they were enjoyed in proper moderation.
My goal was to get them to eat more of the healthy stuff, go lighter on the less healthy stuff and just enjoy actual junk foods on rare occasions. Luckily I found a sneaky way to tip the balance toward the healthy food. Here’s how I got my family to willingly eat more healthy veggies.
Getting The Kids To Eat More Veggies
When the kids were little I’d use this trick:
I always had raw vegetables cut up and readily accessible in the refrigerator. Oftentimes it was simply baby carrots or broccoli crowns. But to the kids I called it ‘Veggie Snack‘ to make it sound even more enticing! Sometimes there was ranch to dip them in, but oftentimes they opted for just the crunchy veggie.
(yes, this is the exact same hack I used with with them for frozen applesauce too… LOL)
So if I was fixing dinner when one of the kids came to me saying they were hungry, I’d bring out this grab-n-go veggie snack and tell them they were free to nibble on some before supper.
The kids felt they were getting away with something to be allowed to snack before supper. But I didn’t mind nor did I worry it would ruin their appetite. I knew it was simply a healthy serving of vegetables!
It’s Not Just For The Kids…
Truth be told, even though now it’s just RancherMan & me I still use this hack. Currently in my refrigerator I have a vintage jar filled with sliced raw carrot strips. I put a little water in the bottom of the jar to keep the carrots crisp.
On any given evening RancherMan is typically in the kitchen with me asking what he can do to help in the meal preparation. #dontyoujustloveit??!!
So when I go into the kitchen to begin making supper, I often bring this jar out of the refrigerator and set it on the counter. Of course I grab one and munch on it as I’m preparing supper. You know, so I can plant that seed.
Aaaah, the power of suggestion!
When he sees me munching on a crunchy carrot he’ll often do the same. As a matter of fact he typically enjoys several carrots while supper is being prepared.
Then when our meal is served I usually leave that jar of crisp carrots on the table so they can become additional crunchy mealtime food too before returning them to the refrigerator to await their next counter-top appearance.
I never have to worry that the carrots I buy will go bad in the refrigerator. They’re brought out and enjoyed often.
Other Kitchen Homestead Hacks
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Easy Reminder For Kitchen Stove
- Make Your Slow Cooker More Efficient
- No Cooking Fat Down The Drain
- Labeling A Glass Jar
- Cleaning A Narrow-Neck Jar
- Keep That Broccoli Fresh
- Don’t Waste Onion Trimmings
- Heat-Free Way to Peel Tomatoes
- Cleaner Vegetable Chopping
- Quick Baking Measurement Reminder System
- Easily Separating Cream From Milk
- Using Frozen Water Bottles In The Kitchen
- Don’t Waste It – Free Vegetable Broth
- Easier Deviled Eggs – No Mess!
- MYO Crispy Taco Shells CHEAP
- Tame Kitchen Appliance Cords
- Save Your Fingernails When Cleaning
- Expand Your Muffin Tin Capacity With Canning-Jar Rings
- Use ALL Of Your Spray Cleaner
- Quick Coffee Stain Cleaning
- Repurposing Mesh Bags For Scrubbers
- Cute Windowsill Container For Herb Cuttings
- Less Mess When Measuring Honey
- How To Tell If Your Baking Powder Is Still Good
- …and many MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing!
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!