by Texas Homesteader ~
Today I was chopping a fresh tomato to include with my egg salad (oh yeah, those chickens are laying lots of eggs so I’m making homemade egg salad often!) Anyway as I chopped the tomato it occurred to me: Although I’ve done this for years, perhaps others would benefit from this little homestead hack.
You know my battle cry: “Use Whatcha Got!”. This particular hack has a couple of benefits – using something I’ve already got handy and keeping those veggie juices corralled. Check it out, y’all!
I’ve got various plastic lids from coffee cans, raisins, even larger ones from those big honkin’ ice cream tubs that my sister saves me from her hub’s late-night ice cream appetite. The beauty here is that we’re making use of something that would have just been tossed in the recycling bin before.
These lids store compactly, they’re lightweight, they’re free and they’re plentiful. Depending on what I’m going to be chopping, I chose the lid that will work best for the task at hand.
For this tomato I choose a smaller lid and get to chopping. The raised sides of the lid keep those tomato juices corralled so they’re not spilling over onto my countertop. One less things to clean up – you know I love that!
And since the lids are flexible I can bend them to be able to funnel the contents into a small bowl. AWESOME!
When one of these lids has done hard duty in my kitchen and is ready for it’s next life I simply toss it into the recycling bin. I feel comfortable with that since it’s already now served two uses. Then I save another lid of similar size to take its place.
So there ya go – inexpensive, environmentally friendly and utilitarian. No more chunking down money to buy commercial cutting boards again & again for me. Bon Appétit!
Other Kitchen Homestead Hacks
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Easy Reminder For Kitchen Stove
- Make Your Slow Cooker More Efficient
- No Cooking Fat Down The Drain
- Labeling A Glass Jar
- Cleaning A Narrow-Neck Jar
- Keep That Broccoli Fresh
- Sneaking Healthy Vegetables Into Their Diet
- Don’t Waste Onion Trimmings
- Heat-Free Way to Peel Tomatoes
- Cleaner Vegetable Chopping
- Quick Baking Measurement Reminder System
- Easily Separating Cream From Milk
- Using Frozen Water Bottles In The Kitchen
- Don’t Waste It – Free Vegetable Broth
- Easier Deviled Eggs – No Mess!
- MYO Crispy Taco Shells CHEAP
- Tame Kitchen Appliance Cords
- Save Your Fingernails When Cleaning
- Expand Your Muffin Tin Capacity With Canning-Jar Rings
- Use ALL Of Your Spray Cleaner
- Quick Coffee Stain Cleaning
- Repurposing Mesh Bags For Scrubbers
- Cute Windowsill Container For Herb Cuttings
- Less Mess When Measuring Honey
- How To Tell If Your Baking Powder Is Still Good
- Easily Opening Those Stubborn Jars
- …and many MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing!
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!