by Tammy Taylor
Blackberry season is here! So it’s only natural that our thoughts turn to those sweet juicy berries. I like to go out early in the morning when it’s still cool and collect buckets of the delicious berries. Of course sampling quite a few as I pick them fresh off the vine.
I’ll bring the rest inside, give them a quick wash and spread them on a towel to dry. If I have more than I can use fresh, I’ll flash-freeze them on a cookie sheet and then place them in a freezer bag. That way they stay separated and I can use my measuring cup to scoop out the frozen berry measurement I need for my recipe.
One of my favorite recipes for blackberries is cobbler. I’d asked my SIL for her recipe years ago & she emailed it to me so it’s the recipe I always use. After a pretty modest supper one night I asked RancherMan if he’d like me to offset the simple-food offerings of the meal with a delicious homemade dessert. Of course he said yes! So I decided to make blackberry cobbler. It’s easy, y’all!
In no time a homemade cobbler was in the oven, and before long the delightful aroma of blackberry goodness was wafting through the house.
Mixing it up was super quick – I placed 1/2 stick of butter in a 6″x8″ casserole dish and placed it in the microwave to melt the butter. In the meantime I mixed 1/2 cup each sugar, self-rising flour and milk. I poured the batter on top of the melted butter, then sprinkled 1-1/2 cups of blackberries on top of the batter, finishing with a sprinkling of 1/4 cup sugar on top of the berries.
(NOTE: This cobbler is even better with DOUBLE the berries, so that’s what I recommend! #dontjudgeme!)
Then I placed the dish in a 350-degree oven for 35 minutes. When the timer went off I sprinkled 2 tablespoons of sugar on top of the cobbler and placed it back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes. And voila – a homemade dessert that can win my man’s heart all over again!
This recipe fits our small family and serves 4 – but it’s easy to double the recipe to accommodate a larger family or even to assure leftovers to enjoy later. If you wanna win your loved one’s heart all over again too, my recipe is below.
* * * * * * * * * *
Homemade Blackberry Cobbler
- 4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter melted
- 3/4 cups plus 2 Tablespoons sugar (divided)
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an approx 6x8 baking dish with butter.
Place 1/2 stick of butter in microwave safe dish. Heat for 30-45 seconds until melted. Pour melted butter into baking dish.
In medium bowl whisk 1/2 cup of sugar with 1/2 cup SELF-RISING flour and 1/2 cup milk. Rinse the blackberries and pat them dry
Pour the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle the berries evenly over the top of the batter. Sprinkle ¼ cup sugar over the blackberries
Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. When 10 minutes of cooking time remains, sprinkle the remaining 2 Tablespoons of sugar or cinnamon over the top and return to oven to complete baking time.
Other Easy Desserts
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- No-Cook Chocolate Frosting
- Stir-n-Pour Drizzle Chocolate
- Quick Homemade Whipped Cream
- Apple Crumble QUICK With Pie Filling
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Chocolate Pudding In A FLASH
- Banana Pudding – A Hug From The South
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Shortcake
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Homemade Honey Graham Crackers
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
- Sugar-Free Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- Rich & Creamy Hot Cocoa
- …And MANY MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! You can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
If you’d like to receive an email each time a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to Subscribe to our blog!