by Texas Homesteader
When cooking or serving our food I always try to go easy on the salt, but we both like lots of pepper. LOTS of pepper. So I often lightly salt our food and then heavily pepper it. The ratio I use is pretty consistent.
One day as I was peeling & seasoning a hard-boiled egg. I pulled out the salt and watched carefully for just a few grains to be sprinkled on the egg so it wouldn’t be over salted, then got the pepper and finished the seasoning with a hefty covering of pepper. Then I got to wondering, since my seasoning ratio is always the same, I wonder…
RancherMan’s mentioned a few times recently how much he loves that I’ve done this, so I wanted to share this Homestead Hack with you today. I obtained a small Tupperware shaker and mixed my standard ratio of salt & pepper in it. BOOM!
Now whether RancherMan is making a tuna-salad sandwich or I’m seasoning a can of veggies for supper, this one shaker is all we need to retrieve and use to perfectly season our food with salt & pepper. Of course I still have my shaker of salt and the other shaker of pepper in the cabinet should they be necessary. But many times this does the work of both shakers at one time!
Plus it’s easy automatic portion control for those occasional over-salting when we’re trying to cut back on salt (cough, RancherMan, cough…)
Other Kitchen Homestead Hacks
- Easy Reminder For Kitchen Stove
- Make Your Slow Cooker More Efficient
- No Cooking Fat Down The Drain
- Labeling A Glass Jar
- Cleaning A Narrow-Neck Jar
- Keep That Broccoli Fresh
- Don’t Waste Onion Trimmings
- Heat-Free Way to Peel Tomatoes
- Cleaner Vegetable Chopping
- Quick Baking Measurement Reminder System
- Easily Separating Cream From Milk
- Using Frozen Water Bottles In The Kitchen
- Don’t Waste It – Free Vegetable Broth
- Easier Deviled Eggs – No Mess!
- MYO Crispy Taco Shells CHEAP
- Tame Kitchen Appliance Cords
- Save Your Fingernails When Cleaning
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Use ALL Of Your Spray Cleaner
- Quick Coffee Stain Cleaning
- Repurposing Mesh Bags For Scrubbers
- Cute Windowsill Container For Herb Cuttings
- …and many MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest,Twitter or Instagram
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!