by Texas Homesteader~
Today I was finalizing in my mind what to prepare for supper tonight and I decided one of the side dishes should be rice.
Now although RancherMan’s not a fan of white rice, he really loves the more intense nutty flavor and firmer texture of brown rice. Add to that fact that it’s also healthier and that means I’m often cooking up brown rice to accompany our supper.
As I prepared my ingredients I decided I wanted to make sure my rice was flavorful enough for my man’s meat-n-potatoes palate. So today I thought I’d share a brand new Homestead Hack with you to make your rice more flavorful.
Use Whatcha Got is what I always say!
I chopped some onion and sautéed the onion & brown rice in just a tiny amount of bacon grease until the onion was translucent and the rice was lightly browned.
Free Vegetable Broth Adds Flavor
But to add more flavor to my rice I won’t be using plane ole water. I’ll use juice drained from cans of veggies that I’ve saved in the fridge for just such occasion.
That juice is flavored like the veggies the can contained. And it already has sufficient salt too. So there’s really no need to add additional seasonings unless you just want specific herbs, etc.
I’ve always hated that the flavorful juice from a can of veggies was just poured down the sink. So I often drain veggies into a jar until I can use them in this way.
Today I had already measured out the reserved juice so I knew how much rice to measure.
Now that my rice & onions are ready I just pour in my juice and cook my rice to delicious perfection.
It’s tremendously more flavorful than rice cooked in plain water and receives RancherMan’s seal of approval. My own free vegetable broth. It’s easy, inexpensive and delicious!
Use Whatcha Got!
Other Kitchen Hacks
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Easy Reminder For Kitchen Stove
- Make Your Slow Cooker More Efficient
- No Cooking Fat Down The Drain
- Labeling A Glass Jar
- Cleaning A Narrow-Neck Jar
- Keep That Broccoli Fresh
- Sneaking Healthy Vegetables Into Their Diet
- Don’t Waste Onion Trimmings
- What Do The Dates On Food Packages Actually Mean?
- Heat-Free Way to Peel Tomatoes
- Peel A Whole Head Of Garlic Cloves In Seconds
- Cleaner Vegetable Chopping
- Quick Baking Measurement Reminder System
- Easily Separating Cream From Milk
- Using Frozen Water Bottles In The Kitchen
- Don’t Waste It – Free Vegetable Broth
- Easier Deviled Eggs – No Mess!
- MYO Crispy Taco Shells CHEAP
- Tame Kitchen Appliance Cords
- Save Your Fingernails When Cleaning
- Expand Your Muffin Tin Capacity With Canning-Jar Rings
- Use ALL Of Your Spray Cleaner
- Quick Coffee Stain Cleaning
- Repurposing Mesh Bags For Scrubbers
- Cute Windowsill Container For Herb Cuttings
- Less Mess When Measuring Honey
- How To Tell If Your Baking Powder Is Still Good
- Easily Opening Those Stubborn Jars
- Instant Pot Boiled Eggs WITHOUT The Shells
- Saute & Freeze Onions For Kitchen Convenience
- Roasting Peppers Quickly On Gas Stove Top
- …and many MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing!
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!