by Texas Homesteader ~
When we invite my folks to supper, RancherMan often tosses some meat on the grill and I’m left to make a couple of sides and a dessert.
The sides can be as simple as opening up a couple of cans of veggies,. Or I sometimes I Roast Fresh Vegetables (mom’s fave).
But buttered rice with fresh sage is an easy yet delicious side option too. And it comes together so quickly.
Rice is cheap, y’all. So it’s a staple in our pantry. And this side dish comes together amazingly quickly.
Don’t Forget To Rinse The Rice
I measure out 1 cup of rice and put it in a strainer. I run clear water through it to rinse off the excess starch. This helps keep your cooked rice from being overly sticky.
Into my cooking pot I add the drained rice and 2 cups of Homemade Broth and give it all a stir. I might even toss in a handful of thinly-sliced carrots so my rice will have nice color. Then I put the lid on the pot and bring the broth to a simmer.
I simmer my rice for about 15-18 minutes. I just want the liquid gone before I turn off the heat. (Sometimes that happens quicker than I’d anticipated so I keep an eye on it.)
After the liquid has been cooked into the rice I turn off the heat and leave the pan covered on the stove while I turn my attention to the fresh sage.
Preparing The Garlic & Sage
While the rice is holding, I saute some onion/garlic in a little butter. I like to toss in some chopped onion first and saute for a minute or so then add the minced or pressed garlic & some finely chopped fresh sage & saute for about 2 minutes more. I want the sage to be soft and nicely fragrant but I’m not trying to cook it here.
Now I simply scrape all that buttery goodness into my pot of cooked rice and give it all a fluff with a fork to incorporate it. Aaaaahhhhhh….
Buttered rice with fresh sage an inexpensive side dish that is easy to prepare, yet it tastes fancy. And any leftover rice freezes beautifully so you’ll be able to pull it out and enjoy it with another meal next week.
Work smarter, not harder as I always say.
Buttered Rice with Garlic & Fresh Sage
Yield 4-6 servings
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups broth (My homemade broth is unsalted)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, finely chopped
Measure rice & rinse under running water until water runs clear.
Bring broth and salt to a boil in a large saucepan, then add rice.
Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15-18 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Then remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes.
While rice stands, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic & chopped fresh sage. Sauté 2 minutes or until garlic is softened, fragrant & golden.
Add buttered garlic mixture to rice, toss well & serve.
- Finely chopped or shredded carrot can be added with the rice while cooking to add color.
- Finely chopped onion sautéed along with the garlic is a nice addition.
Links In This Post
Other Side Dishes We Love
- Rosemary Rice
- Ranch-Style Beans
- RancherMan’s Green-Bean Casserole
- Roasted Vegetables
- Fresh Pico de Gallo
- Fried Okra
- Fried Okra Fritters
- Homemade Cottage Cheese
- Deviled Eggs With a KICK!
- Tri-Colored Homemade Pasta
- Pasta Salad FAST
- Rosemary Skillet Bread
Want to see other Meal Ideas?
- Poor Man’s Stuffed Steak (hamburger)
- Award-Winning Cowboy Chili
- Slow-Cooker Spicy Sticky Chicken
- Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Lasagne Cooked In Its Shell
- Savory Meatloaf
- Lazy Cook’s Chile Relleno
- Hot & Hearty Cabbage Stew
- Homemade Chicken & Dumplings
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Slow Cooker Enchilada Casserole
- Meat-Stuffed Ravioli
- Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Homemade Pasta – Only 3 Ingredients!
- Southwest Chicken w/Seasoned Brown Rice
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- No-Cook Chocolate Frosting
- Stir-n-Pour Drizzle Chocolate
- Quick Homemade Whipped Cream
- Easy Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Apple Crumble QUICK With Pie Filling
- Fast Dessert: Spiced Rum Fried Apples
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Chocolate Pudding In A FLASH
- Banana Pudding – A Hug From The South
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Shortcake
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Homemade Honey Graham Crackers
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
- Sugar-Free Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- Rich & Creamy Hot Cocoa
…And MANY MORE!