by Texas Homesteader ~
We were given a package of instant potato flakes but I don’t cook with instant potatoes since we both much prefer the taste of real mashed potatoes to instant. But y’all know how I hate to waste food, so I set out looking for ways to use them up. Thickening for soup? Sure. Topping for shepherd’s pie? Ok.
But it’s taking too long to use this bag of instant potatoes. So I set out to find a recipe to use ’em up a little faster. Then I stumbled on a recipe to make COOKIES with them. Cookies? Really!?? Hummmm….
I figured I’ve got nothing to lose, RancherMan likes cookies and I love all things lemon so why not? I pulled out the ingredients – instant potatoes, flour, sugar, eggs, butter, lemon & baking soda.
I found the original recipe on food.com. Why but of course I changed the recipe to suit our tastes, why do you ask?? LOL
Y’all know I simply cannot leave a recipe alone! I took my lemon and juiced it and added the juice to the batter, then I zested it and added the zest of the entire lemon to the batter as well. I think this added a little more lemon flavor, which is what I was after.
Butter Melted, NOT Softened
The recipe said the dough would be crumbly and they were right. I was confused reading the original recipe & added the butter softened but not melted so that may have made the batter more crumbly than it was supposed to be. Next time I’ll melt the butter completely before adding it in.
As it was, I was able to take a handful of dough and press tightly & the warmth of my hands made the dough stick together enough to plop it onto a cookie sheet.
(update: Yes, yes, YES – melt the butter before mixing in and the cookie dough is perfect!)
Baking The Lemon Cookies
I stuck those cookies on a cookie sheet and set it in a 350-degree oven for about 10-12 minutes. Then I cooled the cookies just a bit before attempting to move them to a cooling rack.
Yes I sneaked one cookie into my mouth while it was still warm – don’t judge me! 😉
The verdict? Both RancherMan & I LOVED them. They were soft, lemony and almost cake-like but not too sweet. Success!
I baked only 1/2 of the recipe that day and baked the other 1/2 the following day when we had company visiting. They loved them as well, the cookies were devoured in short order. And hey, if you’re going to have to put to good use a grocery item that would otherwise go to waste why not cookies, right??
Here’s the recipe as I amended it:
Instant Potato Lemon Cookies
Lemon cookies made with instant mashed potatoes? Oh yes, and they're delicious! #TexasHomesteader
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup nuts finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 2 eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon, about 1 Tablespoon
- OPTIONAL Juice of 1 lemon, about 3-4 Tablespoons. (NOTE - this will make cookies much thinner & crispy!)
- 1/4 cup sugar to roll dough in
Heat oven to 350°F.
In large bowl, combine all ingredients except last 1/4 cup sugar; blend well. (Mixture will be crumbly.)
Firmly press into 1-inch balls, roll cookies in reserved sugar & place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before attempting to remove from baking sheet. Place on rack to cool completely.
Other Easy Desserts
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- No-Cook Chocolate Frosting
- Stir-n-Pour Drizzle Chocolate
- Quick Homemade Whipped Cream
- Easy Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Apple Crumble QUICK With Pie Filling
- Fast Dessert: Spiced Rum Fried Apples
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Chocolate Pudding In A FLASH
- Banana Pudding – A Hug From The South
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Shortcake
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Homemade Honey Graham Crackers
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
- Sugar-Free Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- Rich & Creamy Hot Cocoa
- Chocolate-Covered Rice Krispie Treats
- …And MANY MORE!