by Texas Homesteader ~
Who doesn’t love dessert? We don’t have dessert every night of course but my handsome RancherMan does have a sweet tooth.
A delicious dessert need not take lots of time or effort. Heck one of our favorite desserts is strawberries & fresh whipped cream. Dessert in a flash!
Here’s the abbreviated instructions:
Make whipped cream (3 minutes),
Assemble & enjoy!
See what I mean? Easy! Here’s how I do it…
Sugaring The Strawberries
I want the strawberries to release some of their juice and I also want them sweetened. So I rinsed and drained them well.
Then I cut off the green-leaf top and sliced them thinly. I placed the slices into a bowl and each time I laid down a layer of strawberries I added a sprinkling of sugar.
This sweetens them & also causes them to release some of their juice. I’ll be using that juice for my strawberries & cream dessert.
When the strawberries had been sliced & sugared I placed another bowl on top of them to cover and left them on the counter to do their thaaaang for a couple of hours.
Thickening Strawberry Juice
A couple of hours later I came back to check them they had juiced quite well. So I poured the strawberry juice into a pan and heated it with just a sprinkling of cornstarch to thicken it a bit.
I guess I used about a 1/4th teaspoon, but this will depend upon how much juice you have to be thickened.
This thickening step only took about 2 minutes. Then I stirred the thickened juice back into the strawberries.
Assembling A Strawberry Dessert
When it was time to enjoy our strawberry delight I quickly whipped up homemade whipped cream. I like this recipe because it’s made with honey instead of powdered sugar.
Plus I’m always pleasantly surprised at how quickly the whipped cream comes together – only about 2-3 minutes.
Be sure to put your bowl & beaters in the freezer for about an hour beforehand so everything’s good & cold.
Now to serve I just assemble my strawberries-n-cream dessert. First I place my fresh sliced sugared strawberries with the thickened juice in a shallow bowl.
Then I topped them with a hearty dollop of whipped cream and a couple of sliced strawberries on top just for pretty…
So there ya go! A delicious and beautiful dessert doesn’t have to mean hours in the kitchen. This light and easy dessert is a favorite at our Homestead.
Other Easy Desserts
- Depression-Era CRAZY CAKE – No Butter, Eggs or Milk
- No-Cook Chocolate Frosting
- Stir-n-Pour Drizzle Chocolate
- Easy Honey Glaze
- Quick Homemade Whipped Cream
- Easy Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Apple Crumble QUICK With Pie Filling
- Fast Dessert: Spiced Rum Fried Apples
- Pumpkin Bread (with Cake-Mix Shortcut)
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Rich, Chocolaty Homemade Brownies
- Chocolate Pudding In A FLASH
- Banana Pudding – A Hug From The South
- Cherry-Pie Tortilla Rolls
- Cantaloupe Bread w/Pecan Praline Glaze
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Shortcake
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
- Fresh Pear Cake
- Easy Homemade Peach Ice Cream
- Healthier ‘Ice Cream’ Using Bananas & Fruit
- Easy Cookies-n-Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Homemade Honey Graham Crackers
- Cake-Mix Cookies – Only 3 Ingredients!
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Double Chocolate Banana Chunk Cookies
- Sugar-Free Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- Rich & Creamy Hot Cocoa
- Chocolate-Covered Rice Krispie Treats
- …And MANY MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page . It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing! And you can also follow along on Pinterest,Twitter or Instagram
If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live,
subscribe to our Blog!