by Texas Homesteader
Several years ago I became interested in dual-purpose or edible landscaping. I noticed how beautiful and fern-like the tops of carrots are and wondered why not border my front flowerbed with them? So I planted a line of carrots against the porch and a semi-circle of spinach next to the sidewalk.
Later I planted basil and oregano in the open space. I mulched with straw hay which decomposes and enriches the soil each year.
Blueberries Are Bushes Too!
Then I saw some beautiful landscaping shrubs in the plant nursery that displayed colorful berries. So I thought, why not blueberries?
I planted two varieties of blueberry bushes in the flowerbed. It’s fun to pick fresh blueberries often to eat fresh and freeze the excess. I even placed a large piece of fat-lighter wood behind the blueberries just for interest. But fat-lighter is a coveted wood for anyone with a chiminea or a wood fireplace. So it will be used for that purpose when the time is right.
Tree For Shade, Tree For Food
My dad always said, “If you’re going to plant a tree for shade (or landscaping), it might as well give you something to eat!” So I planted a pair of Jonathon apple trees. These are smaller varieties that only get about 10-ft tall when fully mature.
Evergreen Rosemary Bush
And of course I love my blooming Rosemary. It’s got great evergreen color, pretty purple flowers in the spring & wonderful for both cooking and soap making.
I typically mix this plan up each year as I play with the front flowerbed section of my landscaping. It’s lots of fun to change it out each year. And I promise you that stepping onto the front porch to harvest fresh spinach or home-grown carrots for a dinner party is sure to get the conversation going!
My Favorite Garden Hacks
- Easy Garden Planning Spreadsheet
- Getting A Jump: Planting An Indoor Greenhouse
- Repurposed Cardboard Seed-Starting Pots
- 3-Sister’s Garden – The Original Companion Planting
- Low-Cost Vegetable Gardening
- Planting A Large Galvanized Trough
- Using Cheap Biodegradable Weed Block
- Tricking Birds AWAY From Your Strawberry Plants
- Easy Compost For A Healthy Garden
- Propping Tender Seedlings
- Cheap (or FREE) Wood Mulch For The Garden
- Homestead Hack: Remember Where You Planted Seeds
- How Vegetable Gardening Can Change Your Life!
- Easy Deep-Soak Watering
- Planting Potatoes In Galvanized Trough
- Planting A Blueberry Bush In Galvanized Tub
- Stevia – Growing Your Own Sweetener!
- How I Use EcoBricks In The Garden
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea – lots of good folks sharing! You can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
If you’d like to receive an email each time a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to
Subscribe to our blog!