by Texas Homesteader ~
Yes, you can still live the simple life, even in an HOA. I’m sharing simple ways you might go ahead & live the simple life within HOA restrictions and hoping others will share what’s worked for them. What HOA restrictions have you been able to balance to continue strolling down a simple-life path? Weigh in and help others!
(Note: Some links in this post will take you to other related articles for further information. But links preceded with * are affiliate links. If you click and buy something I could receive a tiny commission.)
I’ve never belonged to an HOA – all of my previous residences while living in the city were either apartments or tract home neighborhoods in plain ole middle class parts of town. So I have no experience with an HOA.
What I do have experience with is writing this little ole Simple Living blog (Ok, I’m certainly no expert or anything, but…)
Topics on my website include how to use simple effective methods to complete tasks. You know, like one of my favorites – hanging our laundry under that beautiful blue Texas sky. Solar power is free and (breathe deep) that wonderful aroma of sunshine that just can’t be replicated from a commercial product.
But more & more I get questions from people who live in an HOA area. People who say they’d love to do either this or that but can’t because of their HOA restrictions.
So I thought perhaps this might be a good place for a Q&A both to and from Home Owner Association members – share your experience.
Simple Life, HOA Style
I’ve always considered that you can walk that voluntary simplicity path wherever you are. I’m so blessed to finally be living out here in the country.
Here I have so many simplicity options available to me. But t’werent always so.
In the past I’ve lived in either a multi-story apartment building or a suburban single-resident home.
But with each home I’ve lived in, I’d taken whatever steps toward simplicity that were available to me at the time. You don’t have to live in the country to live a simple lifestyle ya know!
A few pots of herbs could be grown on the balcony of my apartment. And it was easy learning to make my own cleaning solutions.
Once I moved to a suburban home I could grow a nice-sized garden, use my retractable 2-line clothesline to dry my laundry. I honed my skills in learning to cook more & more from scratch.
Now that I live in the county I’m able to plant a large garden watered only by rainwater that’s been captured & diverted to our underground cistern.
I can finally have a free-ranging flock of hens to provide both bug control as well as fresh healthy eggs.
Each of my home locations offered different baby-step opportunities for me to continue on with my desire to live a simple life. But again, I’ve never been restricted by a Home Owner’s Association’s rules.
Do What You Can Within HOA Restrictions
Sometimes it just takes thinking outside the box. What can you do to continue your simple-life path within an H.O.A. community? LOTS!
Some things to consider, just to get the creative juices flowing…
- EDIBLE LANDSCAPING – Hey, there’s no reason the plants in your beautiful flowerbeds can’t be edible! I even landscaped our new porch addition on the CHEAP and using many beautiful edibles.
- RETRACTABLE CLOTHESLINE – Put it up a *Retractable Clothesine, hang out your clothes, then bring the whole thing back inside when done. Done & done!
- RAINWATER COLLECTION – We have several different rainwater collection methods we use on our homestead. But there are many *cute options available now for purchase that can blend right in with your H.O.A. landscaping!
A Wealth Of Simple Living INSIDE
And don’t forget – there are all manner of simple living steps you can take that don’t involve the outside at all. Simple living can start right inside your home.
- LAUNDRY DETERGENT – I’ve been using this laundry detergent recipe for over 10 years now.
- CLEANING SUPPLIES – Why has cleaning gotten so complicated? A different cleaner for each & every surface? I’ve greatly simplified my cleaning supplies and my home has never been cleaner!
- PASSIVE SOLAR ENERGY – You don’t need special equipment to take advantage of FREE solar energy!
- GOING GREEN IS EASY – Here is a tale of a single day of greenery, just to get the creative juices flowing.
You get what I’m saying. You can typically carry on with your stroll down the path of simplicity – even living in an HOA area.
Although I’ve already polled our Facebook Followers, you can help too!! What restrictions has your HOA placed on you that you’ve been able to find balance with to continue strolling down a simple-life path?
Now c’mon y’all – this isn’t meant to be a HOA bashing session. HOA’s can be lovely places to live with plenty of benefits! We’re Just looking for helpful hints to inspire others to go ahead & live the simple life within their HOA restrictions…
Other than the things listed, what else can you share?
Links In This Post:
- What Do You Use To Clean?
- Conserving Water
- What I’ve Learned About Free-Range Eggs
- Using FRESH Milk
- Homemade Yogurt Recipe
- Edible Landscaping
- Landscaping On The CHEAP!
- Doing Things The Old-Time Way
- *Retractable & Portable Clothesline
- 3 Rainwater Collection Systems We Use at the Homestead
- *Cute Rainwater Collection Container Ideas
Other Simple-Life Articles
- Living Deliberately: Voluntary Simplicity
- How Would Grandma Have Done It?
- Doing Things The Old Way
- Grandma-Approved Cleaning For A Cozy Home
- How To Live The Simple Life In An HOA
- Passive Solar Energy Tricks
- Using The Sun: Solar Cooking
- Easy Laundry Detergent Recipe
- How To Make Your Own Laundry-Scent Booster
- Easy Air Freshener In Cute Repurposed Jar
- Lavender-Scented Gardener’s Hand Scrub
- Building Your Life With Your Own Two Hands
- The Fast Life: Slowing Down, Living MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. There are lots of good folks sharing!
To receive an email when a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to
Subscribe to our blog!