by Texas Homesteader ~
Now that we have free-range hens again I’m using up those fresh eggs in many various ways. RancherMan loves for me to boil them up & have them for him in the fridge ready for a quick high-protein snack. And I’ve been making Egg Salad Sandwich Spread to replace his traditional purchased peanut butter sandwich preference for lunch.
But egg salad isn’t the only benefit of boiling up fresh eggs, I’m also killing weeds in the bricks of my sidewalk. How you say?
Y’all know my battle cry: “Use Whatcha Got!” This isn’t a new idea, but it’s a great one to keep in mind.
You see, when we built our home we wanted brick accents in the sidewalk. And although I love the way those bricks add interest to the sidewalk, it’s constantly a growing space for sprouting one weed or another. Since it borders my Edible Landscape I don’t want to use poison here.
But now that I’ve finished boiling the eggs I use a slotted spoon to move the cooked eggs into some chilled water to cool. I’m left with a pan of near-boiling water.
Boiling Water To Kill Weeds
So I take that water out to the sidewalk and pour it carefully along the cracks in the sidewalk where weeds are attempting to take hold.
The weeds wilted immediately and within a very short time they’ve completely died.
I wrote the other day about a 3-Ingredient Weedkiller from Kitchen Ingredients. And I often use this concoction to spray along these sidewalk cracks while I’m out spraying around my garden fence.
But this Homestead Hack doesn’t involve buying or mixing any ingredients, or filling & washing out a sprayer. I mean, heck – that waster was already boiling in my kitchen. Instead of just pouring it down the sink when I’m done, I might as well put it to good use.
I do this same thing when I’m water-bath canning. That huge pot of water has done it’s canning duty, why not give it a second use?
Boiling water is an all-natural way to kill those weeds without any expense, poison, or heck – not even elbow grease!
What’s not to love??!!
Other Low-Waste Solutions
- Weed Killer Using 3 Kitchen Ingredients
- MYO Carpet Cleaning Solution
- Natural Scrubbing Agent
- MYO Citrus-Scented Cleaner
- Non-Toxic Mosquito Control
- Keeping Ants From Pet Bowls
My Favorite Garden Hacks
- Easy Garden Planning Spreadsheet
- Getting A Jump: Planting An Indoor Greenhouse
- Repurposed Cardboard Seed-Starting Pots
- 3-Sister’s Garden – The Original Companion Planting
- Planting A Large Galvanized Trough
- Tricking Birds AWAY From Your Strawberry Plants
- Easy Compost For A Healthy Garden
- Propping Tender Seedlings
- Cheap (or FREE) Wood Mulch For The Garden
- Using Vining Plants For Living Mulch
- Homestead Hack: Remember Where You Planted Seeds
- How Vegetable Gardening Can Change Your Life!
- Keeping Potted Plants Watered
- Planting A Blueberry Bush In Galvanized Tub
- Stevia – Growing Your Own Sweetener!
- How I Use EcoBricks In The Garden
- Compost Old Confidential Documents
- Repurposing A Coffee Can For Deep-Soak Watering
- How Leaves Benefit Your Garden
- My Simple, Zero-Waste Herb Drying Setup
- How To Grow Fresh Salad Greens In All Seasons
- The Lazy Gardener’s Plant List – Plant Once, Eat For Years!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea – lots of good folks sharing! You can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
If you’d like to receive an email each time a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to
Subscribe to our blog!