by Texas Homesteader ~
Now that we have free-range hens again I’m using up those fresh eggs in many various ways. RancherMan loves for me to boil them up & have them for him in the fridge ready for a quick high-protein snack. And I’ve been making Egg Salad Sandwich Spread to replace his traditional purchased peanut butter sandwich preference for lunch.
Since I’ve found out how much healthier free-range eggs are compared to their commercial counterparts I find I’m always boiling eggs, (thankfully I found an easier way to peel those very-fresh eggs.) But egg salad isn’t the only benefit of boiling up fresh eggs, I’m also killing weeds in the bricks of my sidewalk. How you say? Y’all know my battle cry: “Use Whatcha Got!” This isn’t a new idea, but it’s a great one to keep in mind.
You see, when we built our home we wanted brick accents in the sidewalk. And although I love the way those bricks add interest to the sidewalk, it’s constantly sprouting one thing or another. Since it borders my Edible Landscape I don’t want to use poison here.
But now that I’ve finished boiling the eggs I use a slotted spoon to move the cooked eggs into some chilled water to cool. I’m left with a pan of near-boiling water. So I take that water out to the sidewalk and pour it carefully along the cracks in the sidewalk where weeds are attempting to take hold.
The weeds wilt immediately and within a very short time they’ve completely died.
I wrote the other day about a 3-Ingredient non-toxic weedkiller. And I often use this concoction to spray along these sidewalk cracks while I’m out spraying around my garden fence. But this Homestead Hack doesn’t involve buying or mixing any ingredients, or filling & washing out a sprayer.
It’s an all-natural way to kill those weeds without any expense, poison, or heck – not even elbow grease! What’s not to love??!!
Other Non-Toxic Solutions
- 3-Ingredient Non-Toxic Weed Killer
- MYO Carpet Cleaning Solution
- Natural Scrubbing Agent
- MYO Citrus-Scented Cleaner
- Non-Toxic Mosquito Control
- Keeping Ants From Pet Bowls
My Favorite Garden Hacks
- Easy Garden Planning Spreadsheet
- Getting A Jump: Planting An Indoor Greenhouse
- Repurposed Cardboard Seed-Starting Pots
- 3-Sister’s Garden – The Original Companion Planting
- Low-Cost Vegetable Gardening
- Planting A Large Galvanized Trough
- Using Cheap Biodegradable Weed Block
- Tricking Birds AWAY From Your Strawberry Plants
- Easy Compost For A Healthy Garden
- Propping Tender Seedlings
- Cheap (or FREE) Wood Mulch For The Garden
- Homestead Hack: Remember Where You Planted Seeds
- How Vegetable Gardening Can Change Your Life!
- Easy Deep-Soak Watering
- Planting Potatoes In Galvanized Trough
- Planting A Blueberry Bush In Galvanized Tub
- Stevia – Growing Your Own Sweetener!
- How I Use EcoBricks In The Garden
- Making An Inexpensive Temporary Cold Frame
- Easily Disposing Of Old Confidential Documents