by Texas Homesteader ~
I don’t know if y’all deal with ants like we do, but dang this time of year when it gets super dry, the ants will go marching out looking for food. Every now & then we find that they have invaded Bailey’s food dish!
When we adopted her she had bladder stones. So now her diet is very rigid. Never human food, only special formula low-oxalate crunchy dog food and lots of fresh water to keep her system healthy.
Knowing how common it is to overfeed pets and to keep her fit, RancherMan researched to find out how much food a dog her size and activity level should eat daily. We give her half that amount in the morning and the other half in the evening.
So there’s typically not food left in her bowl for any length of time. But sometimes she leaves her food in the bowl a little longer.
It’s then that we’ll notice it’s attracted the attention of ants. Oh how we hate to have ants in the house. And Bailey REALLY hates them to be in her dish!
But we found an easy fix. Check out this Homestead Hack.
We have a larger dog bowl from years ago when we had a much larger dog. These days that big, heavy bowl is used for various other things around the Homestead. But today we brought it in & cleaned it up as well as we could.
This bowl is OLD so it’s pretty dingy even after it’s cleaned up, but it’s only temporary anyway. We sat Bailey’s smaller dish inside it. Yea – it fits perfectly!
Then we poured water into the bigger bowl, surrounding Bailey’s smaller bowl with an ant-free and water-filled moat.
Take THAT, ants!
It’s a poison-free way to eliminate ants from invading your pet’s food bowl.
The ants aren’t able to cross the water to get to our dog’s food. So they grumble about their working conditions inside the house and then they all stomp back outside where they belong!
So long, pesky ants!
Other Non-Toxic Living Posts We Love
- 3-Ingredient Non-Toxic Weed Killer
- MYO Carpet Cleaning Solution
- Natural Scrubbing Agent
- MYO Citrus-Scented Cleaner
- Non-toxic Mosquito Control
- Keeping Ants From Pet Bowls
Other Eco-Friendly Posts
- No-Spill Fuel Can
- Glass & Silicone Reusable Water Bottle
- I Love Mother Nature So I Recycle LESS!
- 7 Ways To Reduce Trash In The Kitchen
- 8 Great Gifts For Your Eco-Friendly Friends
- Natural Air Freshener In Reusable Glass Jar
- Reducing Trash In Personal Hygiene: Deodorant
- Where Exactly Is ‘Away’?
- Replacing Plastic Wrap With Beeswax Wraps
- Repurposing Empty Coffee Containers
- Denim Repurposed Into Fun Crafts
- 5 Zero-Waste Products We Love
- Easily Reduce Or Eliminate Junkmail
- Making Your Own Pourable Sugar Jar
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Repurposing A Parmesan Cheese Lid
- Zero-Waste Hygiene
- Natural Cleaning – Homemade Laundry Detergent
- How A Bidet Can Be An Eco Win
…and Many More