by Texas Homesteader ~
We’ve all done it – that zucchini is relished when it first starts producing in the garden. But after a while you find yourself (and your family) growing tired of the excess. Even your zucchini-loving family moans when they hear it’s on the menu tonight… yet again!
But you hate to waste it. I mean, you planted that seed, tenderly took care of the seedling and delighted in its production. What can you do?
A few years ago I started something called my ‘Blessing Basket’. Here’s how it works:
One day each week I put the day’s full garden harvest into a basket. If it’s ready to pick, it goes into the basket.
Then I take that basket to our church to share. Many people there are older or no longer garden. They absolutely love this garden-fresh produce!
Blessing Basket Contents
A typical Blessing Basket might hold the eggs my free-range hens laid that day, a few yellow summer squash, some cantaloupe, a handful of tomatoes, a couple of cucumbers and some fresh green beans.
Whatever’s ready to harvest on that day goes into the basket to share with someone else.
And I often add fresh herbs that I have growing such as rosemary, basil, oregano, thyme and sage.
I bring the basket full of my garden offerings & set it on the table. Then I just let my church family choose whatever they want from the basket. It’s always empty when I bring the basket home!
I feel good that my precious garden produce didn’t go to waste. And the recipients are beyond thrilled with the fresh produce too.
And c’mon, what gardener doesn’t like to share their garden’s bounty with others?
A Gardener’s Challenge
I challenge you gardeners out there to do the same. Share one day’s harvest with your book club, daycare, or just the neighbor down the street.
You’ll feel good sharing, they’ll love the produce and you just might form a bond that you didn’t have before.
Links Included In This Post
- Difference in Nutrition Of Free-Range Eggs
- Stevia, The Gardener’s Sweetener
- Brewing Your Tea Using The Power Of The Sun
My Favorite Garden Hacks
- Easy Garden Planning Spreadsheet
- Getting A Jump: Planting An Indoor Greenhouse
- Repurposed Cardboard Seed-Starting Pots
- 3-Sister’s Garden – The Original Companion Planting
- Planting A Large Galvanized Trough
- Tricking Birds AWAY From Your Strawberry Plants
- Easy Compost For A Healthy Garden
- Propping Tender Seedlings
- Cheap (or FREE) Wood Mulch For The Garden
- Using Vining Plants For Living Mulch
- Homestead Hack: Remember Where You Planted Seeds
- How Vegetable Gardening Can Change Your Life!
- Keeping Potted Plants Watered
- Planting A Blueberry Bush In Galvanized Tub
- Stevia – Growing Your Own Sweetener!
- How I Use EcoBricks In The Garden
- Compost Old Confidential Documents
- Repurposing A Coffee Can For Deep-Soak Watering
- How Leaves Benefit Your Garden
- My Simple, Zero-Waste Herb Drying Setup
- How To Grow Fresh Salad Greens In All Seasons
- The Lazy Gardener’s Plant List – Plant Once, Eat For Years!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea – lots of good folks sharing! You can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
If you’d like to receive an email each time a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to
Subscribe to our blog!