by Texas Homesteader ~
Something with a single long taproot seeded itself prolifically in my front ‘flower bed’ last year. Now that spring is just around the corner, they all sprouted with a vengeance! So that it doesn’t become a bigger problem I started digging out the plants that I could reach.
But I was dismayed to see how thickly they were sprouting in my rock feature at the downspout. That digging stick wasn’t as effective in the rocks as it was in the soil. And ugh, my aching back. What a pain!
Wonder if I can use something I’ve already got? I have a spray bottle in my kitchen filled with diluted vinegar for cleaning. I didn’t really measure it when I made it up, but it’s only about 1/4 cup vinegar and the rest of the spray bottle was filled with water. I use this spray bottle when I’m spot-cleaning a spill on the kitchen floor or cleaning the stove top.
Calm Winds And Sunshine To The Rescue!
So, I took advantage of a day with low wind & sunshine and fetched my vinegar spray from the kitchen cabinet. I was sure to spray the leaf surfaces of all the plants I wanted dead, & careful not to allow over-spray on any desirable plants. Then I sat back & let the sunshine and vinegar do all the hard work.
The plants are completely dead now of course, but this is a pretty dramatic before/after difference in just a few hours!
When I’m getting serious with weed spraying I use my heavy-duty non-toxic Weed Killer Recipe. But for these small weeds I didn’t even have to mix anything up – just fetch the spray bottle & get to spraying the weeds. Gotta love a cheap, fast, non-poison way to kill hard-to-dig weeds!
My Favorite Garden Hacks
- Easy Garden Planning Spreadsheet
- Getting A Jump: Planting An Indoor Greenhouse
- Repurposed Cardboard Seed-Starting Pots
- 3-Sister’s Garden – The Original Companion Planting
- Low-Cost Vegetable Gardening
- Planting A Large Galvanized Trough
- Using Cheap Biodegradable Weed Block
- Tricking Birds AWAY From Your Strawberry Plants
- Easy Compost For A Healthy Garden
- Propping Tender Seedlings
- Cheap (or FREE) Wood Mulch For The Garden
- Homestead Hack: Remember Where You Planted Seeds
- How Vegetable Gardening Can Change Your Life!
- Easy Deep-Soak Watering
- Planting Potatoes In Galvanized Trough
- Planting A Blueberry Bush In Galvanized Tub
- Stevia – Growing Your Own Sweetener!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea – lots of good folks sharing! You can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
If you’d like to receive an email each time a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to
Subscribe to our blog!