by Texas Homesteader ~
Spring is on its way, y’all! I’ve already planted up my Indoor Greenhouse with my heirloom seeds. That way I’ll be able to put seedlings in the ground come spring. Aaaaahhhh… Who else is dreaming of the garden season?
But now it’s time to get in & prep the garden for a new growing season. I’m a big fan of repurposing items wherever possible using my battle cry “Use Whatcha Got!
See how I use these empty heavy triple-layer paper feed sacks
RancherMan has been saving those feed sacks for me all year. Now I pull ’em all out, pull the bottom strip off of the empty bags and stack them all flat.
When I get several of them flattened out I haul them to the garden. I’ve got access to all the Free Wood Chips I want. But I don’t want to take the chance of having grass or weeds growing up in my walkways. So before the wood chips go down I first lay these feed sacks out over the walking paths. Then I cover them thickly with that free mulch. Done and DONE!
Stopping Bermuda Grass
Although I’ve finally found a way to Stop Bermuda Grass from my landscape plantings, the garden has always been a struggle due to its size. But last year I actually won the war against Bermuda grass in the garden for the first time EVER!
I did this by mulching a wide strip around the entire perimeter of my planting area. No Bermuda grass runners made it to the planting area last year. I’ll be diligent this year to make sure it stays that way!
I love that I’ve been able to take a waste product and use it in my garden. It not only saves me untold hours weeding in the hot Texas sun, but the earthworms love paper. So those lowly feed sacks are helping my garden soil as well.
My Favorite Garden Hacks
- Easy Garden Planning Spreadsheet
- Getting A Jump: Planting An Indoor Greenhouse
- Repurposed Cardboard Seed-Starting Pots
- 3-Sister’s Garden – The Original Companion Planting
- Low-Cost Vegetable Gardening
- Planting A Large Galvanized Trough
- Using Cheap Biodegradable Weed Block
- Tricking Birds AWAY From Your Strawberry Plants
- Easy Compost For A Healthy Garden
- Propping Tender Seedlings
- Cheap (or FREE) Wood Mulch For The Garden
- Homestead Hack: Remember Where You Planted Seeds
- How Vegetable Gardening Can Change Your Life!
- Easy Deep-Soak Watering
- Planting Potatoes In Galvanized Trough
- Planting A Blueberry Bush In Galvanized Tub
- Stevia – Growing Your Own Sweetener!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea – lots of good folks sharing! You can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
If you’d like to receive an email each time a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to
Subscribe to our blog!