by Texas Homesteader ~
Y’all know I’ve planted many trees since moving here. They typically struggle the first year & then succumb after the first 12-18 months.
I kid you not, I’ve lost 18 trees in our BACKYARD ALONE!
That’s lots of money wasted. But dang y’all, I really miss the beautiful canopy of trees I’ve always assured that we enjoyed at each and every home where we’ve ever lived.
I know it doesn’t make financial sense to keep plunking down money year after year to buy trees & get them planted when they obviously don’t want to live here.
But aaaahhhh… Y’all remember my battle cry? Use Whatcha Got!
I found a small tree seedling growing by the foundation of our home and I knew I had to remove it. But I wondered… why not move it to a place where I’d LIKE for it to grow??? This tree obviously really WANTS to live.
And if I start the tree out this small it may have a greater chance of digging in its roots in this apparently difficult-to-grow location of our yard where I’d love to have trees.
So I carefully dug up that tree up and moved it to a place in the yard where I hoped it would grow. I think it’s an Elm tree but whatever it is I’d love to have it grow here!
Relocating A Volunteer Seedling
I mulched around it heavily with spoiled hay that they cows had trampled. That mulch kept the soil around my tender tree cooler and conserved the moisture all summer long.
Although a bunny happily made the top of that seedling his lunch a couple of times, I’ll place a piece of chicken wire around it so it can’t be snacked on again. Other than the bunny buffet, I’ve been very pleased at how well it’s done!
So pleased in fact that I’ve since relocated another volunteer tree seedling to another place in the yard. It hasn’t cost us anything! The tree’s obviously indigenous to our location and I’m finally hopeful to one day have several trees shading the backyard of our home.
My Favorite Garden Hacks
- Easy Garden Planning Spreadsheet
- Getting A Jump: Planting An Indoor Greenhouse
- Repurposed Cardboard Seed-Starting Pots
- 3-Sister’s Garden – The Original Companion Planting
- Low-Cost Vegetable Gardening
- Planting A Large Galvanized Trough
- Using Cheap Biodegradable Weed Block
- Tricking Birds AWAY From Your Strawberry Plants
- Easy Compost For A Healthy Garden
- Propping Tender Seedlings
- Cheap (or FREE) Wood Mulch For The Garden
- Homestead Hack: Remember Where You Planted Seeds
- How Vegetable Gardening Can Change Your Life!
- Easy Deep-Soak Watering
- Planting Potatoes In Galvanized Trough
- Planting A Blueberry Bush In Galvanized Tub
- Stevia – Growing Your Own Sweetener!
- How I Use EcoBricks In The Garden
- Making An Inexpensive Temporary Cold Frame
- Compost Old Confidential Documents
- Repurposing A Coffee Can For Deep-Soak Watering
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea – lots of good folks sharing! You can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
If you’d like to receive an email each time a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to
Subscribe to our blog!