It’s just a fact that socks wear out. It doesn’t matter how well you take care of them, eventually they end up with holes in them. And when they do, they go on to their second purpose here on the Homestead.
I typically cut off the toe section & elastic top from the holey sock, then cut the sock along the back ankle/heel/foot to open it up flat. I then cut the resulting material into a square-ish shape. I’ll be using this material in different ways – Check it out.
Holey Sock Repurposed To Cleaning Rag
In cutting the sock material into a square-ish shape I’ve cut away the thin, holey heel. I’ve now repurposed that previously-useless sock into a small scrub cloth. These absorbent cotton cloths work great for scrubbing, cleaning and dusting.
And when they’re too far gone to be used in the house I give ’em to RancherMan. He’ll use them in the shop for greasy chores and such.
After that I don’t mind that they’re thrown away. They’ve been repurposed many times and they’ve done some serious duty – from sock to cleaning to shop rag!
Elastic Top Used Too!
But what about that top elastic part that I cut off? Oh that actually gets used too – for me!
This elastic band is perfect to use for a ponytail holder. It’s stretchy, elastic and there’s a never-ending supply of them for FREE!
Now since my hair is baby fine, I have to wrap that bad boy around my thin ponytail three times. You ladies with thicker hair could rock it so much better than I!
Since there’s no shortage of these free hair bands, keep one in the car and another in your overnight travel bag. You can keep one in your purse, gym bag and at your desk at work too. You’ll never be caught without a way to keep your hair out of your face when you’re out & about. Gotta love it, right?
My socks are always black but if your socks are colorful, all the better. A bright orange, sunny yellow or vibrantly green ponytail holder would look nice too.
So if you’re constantly looking for a ponytail band, don’t spend your hard-earned money for them. You need to look no further than your own rag bag for a holey sock!
Other Homestead Hacks
- Deter Ants Naturally
- Easy Reminder For Kitchen Stove
- Make Your Slow Cooker More Efficient
- No Cooking Fat Down The Drain
- Labeling A Glass Jar
- Cleaning A Narrow-Neck Jar
- Keep That Broccoli Fresh
- Don’t Waste Onion Trimmings
- Heat-Free Way to Peel Tomatoes
- Cleaner Vegetable Chopping
- Quick Baking Measurement Reminder System
- Easily Separating Cream From Milk
- Using Frozen Water Bottles In The Kitchen
- Don’t Waste It – Free Vegetable Broth
- Easier Deviled Eggs – No Mess!
- MYO Crispy Taco Shells CHEAP
- Tame Kitchen Appliance Cords
- Save Your Fingernails When Cleaning
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Use ALL Of Your Spray Cleaner
- Quick Coffee Stain Cleaning
- Repurposing Mesh Bags For Scrubbers
- Cute Windowsill Container For Herb Cuttings
- …and many MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea – lots of good folks sharing! You can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
If you’d like to receive an email each time a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to
Subscribe to our blog!