~By Texas Homesteader~
RancherMan & I have a bird feeder in our yard in full view of the large windows from our living room. We both get so much enjoyment from watching them flitter around the feeders so we always make sure our bird feeder is filled. Back in ‘the day’ when we ran out of bird food we’d simply stroll to the big discount store & pick up the largest bag of bird food we could buy, plunk down the expensive dough required and schlep it home time & time again.
But that was then, this is now and I’m here to tell ya there IS an easier (and oh-so-much CHEAPER) way! Check out today’s Homestead Hack.
Cheaper Birdseed Option
These days instead of buying that expensive commercial wild bird seed, we noticed how close the mixture of seeds in the commercial wild bird seed bags looked to our regular ole chicken scratch. Although not identical in composition, our hen scratch included cracked corn, wheat, whole milo, etc.
And I grow mammoth sunflowers too. Since RancherMan & I don’t enjoy eating sunflower seeds I also often dry them and mix them in the feed as well.
And the cost comparison? A whopping $8.69 for 20 lb bag of bird seed, but the chicken scratch was only $9.60 for a 50-lb bag at our local feed store.
Do The Wild Bird Really Like It?
But saving money doesn’t help if the birds turn their ‘beaks’ up to it. So we put some out to give ‘er a test run. The verdict? Will the birds eat it? YES!!
Our feeder is always heavily visited with many different varieties of birds at all times of the day including bright cardinals, spunky sparrows, dove, and many more. They all absolutely love it. And at less than 1/2 price we can keep them supplied all year long!
Give it a try, your birds (and your WALLET) will love you for it!
Other Frugal Tips
- When Financial Times Turn Tough Unexpectedly
- Build Financial Security With Less Effort
- A Financial Hit On The Homestead
- Thriving Financially Without A Corporate Paycheck
- Make Your Slow Cooker More Efficient
- Is Food Past The Expiration Date Safe To Eat?
- Make A Cute Gift Box With A Repurposed Greeting Card
- MYO Minty Mouthwash
- Repurposing Empty Coffee Canisters
- Keep That Broccoli Fresh
- Don’t Waste Onion Trimmings
- Cleaner Vegetable Chopping
- Using Frozen Water Bottles In The Kitchen
- Don’t Waste It – Free Vegetable Broth
- Make A Cute Dish Carrier From Old Jeans
- MYO Crispy Taco Shells CHEAP
- Paper Napkins In A Paperless Kitchen
- Use ALL Of Your Spray Cleaner
- Quick Coffee Stain Cleaning
…and many MORE!
C’mon by & sit a spell! Come hang out at our Facebook Page. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. Lots of good folks sharing! You can also follow along on Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
If you’d like to receive an email each time a new blog post goes live it’s EASY to
subscribe to our blog